Need some kegging advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aarong

Reaction score
This is going to be my first time kegging and im looking for some advice. I am planning on force carbonating at 20 PSI for around 3 days without rolling it on the floor (36F)

I ideally would like to serve my southern english brown ale at around 54 F. According to what I have read I need about 2 vol CO2. So my psi at serving temp is 13.1 PSI.

So do i simply purge my keg after force carbonation and set my regulator to 13.1 PSI and my kegerator to 54F and let it sit?

I am looking to serve this batch Superbowl Sunday so I will have about 2 and a half weeks in primary(I dont secondary) and less then 6 days to get it to serving carbonation.

Are my numbers correct?

Thoughts?

Thanks for the help
:mug:

This is going to be my first time kegging and im looking for some advice. I am planning on force carbonating at 20 PSI for around 3 days without rolling it on the floor (36F)

I ideally would like to serve my southern english brown ale at around 54 F. According to what I have read I need about 2 vol CO2. So my psi at serving temp is 13.1 PSI.

So do i simply purge my keg after force carbonation and set my regulator to 13.1 PSI and my kegerator to 54F and let it sit?

I am looking to serve this batch Superbowl Sunday so I will have about 2 and a half weeks in primary(I dont secondary) and less then 6 days to get it to serving carbonation.

Are my numbers correct?

Thoughts?

Thanks for the help
:mug:

Dispensing at 54 degrees may mean a TON of foam. You don't have a way to keep it colder?

I can keep it colder what temperature do you recommend? I can get it down in the 30's.

Thanks again!

I can keep it colder what temperature do you recommend? I can get it down in the 30's.

Thanks again!

I think if you're going to dispense it warm, that carbing it warm would be an advantage as well. Raising the temperature would cause the co2 to come out of solution. If you're going to dispense warm, I really suggest LONG beer lines to keep the foam to a minimum.

My kegerator is set at 40 degrees, and my psi is 12 psi on my regulator. I don't like making changes in temp or in psi, because that changes the carb level and the way the beer responds.

If you really want to have your kegerator at 54 degrees, that's fine. But then don't change the temperature. Carb it up at 54 degrees as well, is what I"m saying.

Kegging at 54 is definitely not a necessity. I simply looked up what temp to serve certain beers and I saw recommendations for 54.

I will set my kegerator to 40 degrees and my psi to 12. So to force carb can I put the PSI at 20 PSI for a few days purge and drop it to the 12 and call it a day?

Do you keep it on 12 psi while your serving it as well.

Thanks Yooper. I have read alot of your posts before and am happy to be getting advice from you!

Aaron

Since you have a couple of weeks I would just pop it in the kegerator at 40, set it to 12 PSI, hook up the keg, and let it sit for a few weeks.

No reason to try to force carb it, and possibly over-carbonate.

I ideally would like to do it that way but I just put the beer in primary yesterday and would like to serve it for the superbowl... Is there enough time to not force carb?

Kegging at 54 is definitely not a necessity. I simply looked up what temp to serve certain beers and I saw recommendations for 54.

I will set my kegerator to 40 degrees and my psi to 12. So to force carb can I put the PSI at 20 PSI for a few days purge and drop it to the 12 and call it a day?

Do you keep it on 12 psi while your serving it as well.

Thanks Yooper. I have read alot of your posts before and am happy to be getting advice from you!

Aaron

Yep, my kegerator is always set at 12 psi for my six kegs that are in there. Rarely, I want one higher or lower, and then I deal with the secondary regulator, but for the most part I like the 12 psi setting.

Make sure your lines are long enough to pour 12 psi. Since you have a while, I'd make sure of things like that to avoid disappointment when you serve.

Sounds great ill buy more line and go with this procedure. Thank you very much for the help!

I've done some research and was wondering what beer line you use and how many feet? I've read a ton of different things I have a ball lock 1/4 barb.

Back