Trying to figure out how many BTUs I'm gonna need...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jarrat

Reaction score
How many BTU's are people using to do a 10 gallon batch..

Looking to see what would be the min amount needed to do a proper boil within a reasonable amount of time.....

I dont do 10 gallon batches but, 1 BTU raises 1 lb of water 1o f. Burners are usually rated BTU per hour. Raise 10 gallons, say 85 lbs-ish of wort from say 68 to 212 in an hour is about (85x(212-68))= 12240 BTU, if all the heat from the burner transfers to the wort. It wont, some will go to air, plus heat loss from the liquid through the pan, so add in a percentage. 20% would get to about 15000 BTU. I would guess this would get u to boiling in an hour. More would be faster.

I use a 30,000 camp chef for 5 gallons and it will boil within half hour running at about 1/2 flame. A 55,000 BTU "should" be plenty, but bigger ones arent that much more if you may do keggles some day.

I guess I should of asked....what size of burners do people use when doing ten gallon batches and how long does it take to bring to a boil after mashing???

Latest posts

Back