Does dried fruit benefit from freezing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Radegast

Reaction score
I understand that freezing fruit to rupture it a little really helps with flavor extraction during winemaking. I was planning a dried fruit wine (Amazon has good deals on dried cranberries!), and I was wondering if it would help to put dried fruit in the freezer beforehand? I assume there's not enough water left to make a big difference, but I wanted to check since it's a pretty easy step anyhow. Sorry if this has been answered, but I searched and could not find a discussion on this issue.

Not no water, but not enough to make a difference. On the other hand, the drying process will also rupture the cells.

Yep skip the freezing, but it is a real good way to store dried fruit for stinkin ever!!! Even though it last nearly forever just out on the counter.

Hi.
According to me Freeze drying is a form of food dehydration, only rather than slowly cooking out the water, food is frozen then warmed slightly to extract the water.

Back