Tempature talk

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oakwood

Reaction score
At what tempature do you all try to keep the primary, and is it any different then what you would keep the secondary?

My primary on the wheat got down to almost 62 but it is back up to 72 now that it is in the secondary. Did the yeast shut down to I need to add more yeast or another batch of yeast, or what can I do to reactivate the yeast that is already there? Would adding another style of yeast change it much if I only added a little.

I know just leave it alone.......

The temp range for fermenting is usually posted on the container.

If your daytime temp is 72 that's a good temp for weizens. If your nighttime temp drops to 62 then, while it's not optimum, your yeast just slows down a bit. Ale yeasts just go a little dormant at the lower temps. That's all.

I don't think you have anything to worry about your brew, but place a sweatshirt on it at night. This'll help the fermenter maintain a steady temp.

You do not need to add more yeast, just try to maintain a good temp.

What yeast are you using?

Almost any ale yeast will be OK down to 62, except maybe some Belgian strains.

I generally secondary in locations a little colder than the primary--it helps the beer clear.

I have a temp-controlled fermentation chest (ghetto rigged) in my basement for primaries. I put the carboy on a shelf in the basement after racking (cooler than primary by maybe 5-8 degrees), and then move it to the basement floor after about a week.

I put it back on the shelf about a day before bottling, so that anything I stir up moving it has a chance to fall back out of suspension.

While I think you'll be fine at 62deg, a 10deg swing from day to night is not ideal. I would try to find a way to keep the nighttime temp up just a bit as temperature maintenance is as important as overall temp.

Placing your primary in a large tub of water is a great way to moderate the temperature. The water is slow to heat and slow to cool over the day so the temperature stays quite stable.

Back