National Homebrew Day Plans?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What are your plans for National Homebrew Day?

• Brewing, With Others Brewing (Homebrew Club, etc)

• Brewing Solo, With Others There

• Brewing Alone, With No One There to Celebrate

• Unable to Brew

Results are only viewable after voting.

wSelwyn

Reaction score
So, as most of you know, May 5th is the observed National Homebrew Day for 2012 (as May 7th is the actual day).

What do you all have planned for that day/weekend?

I got the day off of work, so I'll be brewing 2 batches with my friend (who will also be brewing 1-2 batches). Leaning towards 5gal of Cream Ale, and 5gal of a DIPA.

The beer will be flowing, and we're planning on having quite the get-together of people interested in learning, drinking, & celebrating.

probably make a left over scrap mystery ale/beer.

I need to see what hops migrated to the back of the freezer and whats in the smalll ziplocks of left over extract anyways. :)

I probably won't be drinking wine :D. Seriously, thanks for the reminder, I usually forget these occasions. National Burrito Week, National Margarita Day, National Talk Like a Pirate Day, National Cotton Candy Day ... missed them all last year ...

I probably won't be drinking wine :D. Seriously, thanks for the reminder, I usually forget these occasions. National Burrito Week, National Margarita Day, National Talk Like a Pirate Day, National Cotton Candy Day ... missed them all last year ...

Ha! edit: I love them but always forget them too!

GF’s B-day is that weekend… she’d probably be pissed if I brewed! Thinking about making a Dunkelweizen…btw, anyone know when the new season of ‘Americas Next Top Hooker’ starts?

So, as most of you know, May 5th is the observed National Homebrew Day for 2012 (as May 7th is the actual day).

What do you all have planned for that day/weekend?

I got the day off of work, so I'll be brewing 2 batches with my friend (who will also be brewing 1-2 batches). Leaning towards 5gal of Cream Ale, and 5gal of a DIPA.

The beer will be flowing, and we're planning on having quite the get-together of people interested in learning, drinking, & celebrating.

Sadly I will not be brewing, but I will be drinking plenty that day. I have my future in-laws coming over to meet my parents that day, so there will be much need for the homebrews!

Not going to be brewing, but I'll be drinking for sure. My wife's baby shower is that day, so the men folk will be getting smashed at Yardhouse during that.

I'll also have a couple of my beers in my first competition that day, although I won't be able to make it to the actual event.

That'll be my first weekend off from community theater stuff, so I actually plan to get re-acquainted with my lawnmower (and maybe SWMBO too!).

I do plan to brew an APA the weekend before though - does that count? ;)

Same as we do every year, several hundred of us will gather to drink and brew at Cap and Cork homebrewshop in Clinton Twnship.

Homebrewtalk/Michigan Mashers will have an area like we usually do.

DSCN2812.jpg

DSCN2795.jpg

DSCN2798.jpg

DSCN2810.jpg

DSCN2803.jpg

30611_387808189066_620469066_3994548_994866_n.jpg

30611_387808179066_620469066_3994546_5968966_n.jpg

30611_387808174066_620469066_3994545_5827524_n.jpg

30611_387808134066_620469066_3994538_7742427_n.jpg

Sadly I will not be brewing, but I will be drinking plenty that day. I have my future in-laws coming over to meet my parents that day, so there will be much need for the homebrews!

Good luck with that! :cross:

I might make my first appearance at the local homebrew club... They usually meet on Tuesday and I can never make it.

I was hoping to participate in a club brew now that I finally joined a club, but found out last night we have no location, so I'll probably be brewing 10g of IPA in my garage all by my lonesome, evil-Dawson style :D

Our annual crawfish boil happens to be on the 5th this year and we'll be debuting our first homebrew batch with our friends that day. Obviously testing a few before hand in case my wife and I completely screwed it up.

Going to my sisters beach house and brewing 4 10 gal batches with SWMBO my sister and BIL. While his brother serves BBQ next door. My IPA and Tripel will both be coming on to tap right about then, and he said he has a stout (of some sort, never know with him) and a kolsch bottle conditioning right now, so it should turn into a festive day. I love brewing on the beach.

I think this sounds like a good reason to brew up something with all the old hops and extracts I have sitting around.

1lb wheat DME
Several pounds of Munich LME
Probably 2 to 4 ounces of assorted hops

Anyone have any ideas on something I could throw together with this, maybe grab some steeping grains to add?

coworker of mine recently bought a house and wants to get into homebrewing, so i'm having him and his girl over. he and i will brew and cook some things on the grill, the ladies will make whatever side dishes and drink wine inside in the air conditioning

I brewed a Kentucky Common that should just be ready to enjoy for the 138th running of the Kentucky Derby. Maybe ill brew something too, who knows?

I didn't realize the holiday. But my brew schedule happens to fall in line. I plan to brew a Simcoe/Centennial IPA with my new cooler mash tun and 11 gallon pot. It will either be the 5th or 7th so either way I will feel like I participated.

You may be a Homebrew Nutcase if......You take off work for National Homebrew Day in order to brew beer you could have done on your day off.

Sounds like an awesome date to brew my innaugural batch on my new All Electric System!

Now I have a construction deadline, crap.

My plans for the day are pretty well set now. The debate now is whether or not to invest even more in my equipment and get a large (10-15gal) brew kettle to my buddy and I can brew in (somewhat) tandum.

The only plans I can't fugure out is how to celebrate the day accordingly and not get carried away by the amount of delicious homebrew entering my belly. :drunk:

That's the day of Siciliano's Market's Homebrew Appreciation Party in GR.

They made note of the coincidence in their blog and encouraged folks to come out, drink homebrew, eat food, play games and BREW BEER!

So I'm contemplating doing all of the above.

That's the day of Siciliano's Market's Homebrew Appreciation Party in GR.

They made note of the coincidence in their blog and encouraged folks to come out, drink homebrew, eat food, play games and BREW BEER!

So I'm contemplating doing all of the above.

Awwww I was hoping you were announcing your decision to come down our way again.

i'm brewing an IPA this weekend, so national homebrew day would coincide perfectly with my re-use of the IPA cake for a RIS/breakfast stout (recipe TBD). woohoo!

I brewed a Kentucky Common that should just be ready to enjoy for the 138th running of the Kentucky Derby. Maybe ill brew something too, who knows?
do you have a recipe you could share?

the missus is from KY (go wildcats!), i could score a few brownie points by brewing something from the home-state... even if it's a beer from 100+ years ago.

thanks!

Already commented in Zamial's post, but I'm hosting a brew-in for my homebrew club. We were contemplating what to brew and decided to just do a brew your own recipe. I'm planning to brew a Belgian Pale that I'm going to ferment with 100% Brett. I haven't decided what strain yet, leaning lambicus. Might do 10 gallons and do one with Brux and the other Lambicus though.

I was thinking about starting a thread on this subject...oh yeah I did...

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/aha-big-brew-day-2012-plans-316718/

We plan on brewing the Buck Snort Brown in AG and extract at our LHBS and have hot scotchies for the noon toast.

Buck Snort seems like it's a really solid Brown recipe, I bottled my batch last weekend. From what I could tell it has a very nice balance between the caramel and chocolate, but if I were to do it again I'd probably try using some oven roasted 2-row or maybe an English yeast to try and change things up a little.

So instead of brewing Buck Snort I can be drinking it. I'll hopefully have time to brew that day, looking to do a parti-gyle if I'm able.

Saturday: breaking a buddy's homebrew cherry with a roasted IPA that nostalgia live-streamed a few months back.

Monday: Brewing something with my brother. We've talked about doing a second batch of nostalgia's ginger beer, but who knows.

Ha, May 7 is my birthday, so it's only natural I became an avid homebrewer. And my LHBS is having a brew day on the 5th, so I may swing by and hang out.

Question:

Does anyone brew the "suggested" batches named by the National Homebrewer's Association? This year it's "Bucksnort Brown" and "Ardley Brown Ale". I'm not really planning on brewing one of these, nor have I found anyone who is/has in the past.

Is anyone here on HBT going to?

Latest posts

Back