Witbier At My Wit's End.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msa8967

mickaweapon
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Belgian Wit
Yeast Starter
yes
Batch Size (Gallons)
5 gallon
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
3.7 srm
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
28 dats at 67 F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
none
Additional Fermentation
none
Tasting Notes
Taste like similar to Blue Moon but with a little bit more spice and hop character.
This recipe pushes gravity and IBU envelop for the belgian wit style of beer. I have just tapped the keg after being cold for 4 weeks and have decided I need to make 10 gallons for summer drinking. This is a 5 gallon recipe that I did a BIAB session to make.

4.5 lbs pale malt or 2-row
4.5 lbs white wheat
8 oz flaked wheat
0.5 oz sterling hops 60 min
0.5 oz sterling hops at 30 min
0.5 oz sterling hops 15 min
0.5 oz sterling hops 0 min
0.4 oz corriander seed 5 min
0.4 oz sweet orange peel 5 min
0.4 oz bitter orange peel 5 min

Beligian wit yeast

Cool thanks for the recipe, been wanting to get a Wit started like you said for summertime. I may turn up the coriander and orange a bit but otherwise looks great!

Cool thanks for the recipe, been wanting to get a Wit started like you said for summertime. I may turn up the coriander and orange a bit but otherwise looks great!

I agree about increasing the amount of corriander and orange peel for the next brew session. I am also thinking about adding 4 oz of honey malt or crystal 40 or 60 to make the color a little darker/deeper.

Finally gonna brew this in two days (had a few other brews in line before this) excited about it. Gonna go with .75 oz coriander (you think thats too much?) and a bit more orange peel. Also a touch of nutmeg. I will report back on my progress :D

Edit: I also went with the 4oz of honey malt

I agree with the increase of the coriander to 0.75 oz and increasing the orange peel. Are you planning on crushing the coriander prior to adding it to the beer?

I like the idea of a touch of nutmeg. Next I am going to add a few grams of crushed grains of paradise to the boil at 5 min.

Hope it turns out well for you.

Just took fg sample. Came down to 1.004 with WLP400 wit yeast. Tastes great with a little Belgian funk. Bottling tomorrow. Will get back to you on all the tweeks I made in my version :mug:

ForumRunner_20130703_171525.png

Just took fg sample. Came down to 1.004 with WLP400 wit yeast. Tastes great with a little Belgian funk. Bottling tomorrow. Will get back to you on all the tweeks I made in my version :mug:

View attachment 132990

I am looking forward to hearing about your version. I hope to make this again at the end of July with using some other brewer's changes.

Four days after bottling and can't wait anymore!!! Here it is. My changes were as follows. 1/2 oz of bitter and 1/2 oz sweet orange at 15 1/4 oz each at 2 min. 1/2oz coriander at 15 1/4 oz at 2. 1/8 tsp nutmeg at 15 1/8 tsp at 2. The orange really shines through! The WLP400 gave it a little funk as well, the spices are a great touch. Thanks for the recipe!

ForumRunner_20130707_171621.jpg

Four days after bottling and can't wait anymore!!! Here it is. My changes were as follows. 1/2 oz of bitter and 1/2 oz sweet orange at 15 1/4 oz each at 2 min. 1/2oz coriander at 15 1/4 oz at 2. 1/8 tsp nutmeg at 15 1/8 tsp at 2. The orange really shines through! The WLP400 gave it a little funk as well, the spices are a great touch. Thanks for the recipe!

View attachment 133739

Thank you for sharing your changes. I look forward to trying this new version later in the summer. I like the increase in the amounts of orange and coriander as well as breaking these into different times for their additions.

I was having one now and realized I forgot to also mention I did add the 4oz of honey malt. Obviously helped the color but also is giving a heavenly hint of honey to the aroma .

I was thinking of either using some seeds/grains of paradise or nutmeg in my batch. Are you satisfied with the amount of nutmeg you are using?

Yeah it was a good amount IMO. I'd be interested in trying the grains of paradise though.

Brewing this modified recipe on Friday!!!
The only difference is that I am going to pitch with harvested WY1214.
It says on the Wyeast site that it can be used in Wits, but I have yet to find a recipe that calls out for it. My guess is that the wit strains would produce less less of those spicy/ester/phenols - that I'm so fond of.

Would you think that the extra funk I like will still work with the orange/spice additions?

How what your body in this recipe? The glass looks great. Going to be making a traditional on today myself pitching the Wyeast and sticking with coriander and orange only. Used powdered coriander last time and will again but am drastically pulling back to only have a hint and not a bomb like I did last round. I like your timing on the additions though and will probably do something similar with this batch.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Whet was the %alpha of your sterling hops? I put in beer smith and got an ibu way out of the normal range.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back