RIS recipe -- thoughts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattTimBell

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm starting to think towards trying my hand at an RIS again soon. I did this last year and it worked great; this year, I'm wanting to try something a bit more extreme yet -- in terms of ABV, darkness, etcetera. I wondered if folks would comment on this draft recipe?

(One additional factor: I'm trying to think of doing this with lots of cheaper adjuncts I have around, to keep costs down, yet hope to do so without producing something dreadful. OK, here goes!)

10 lbs. American 6-row
4 lbs. oatmeal
3 lbs. corn meal
1 lb. Belgian Special "B"
1 lb. British Chocolate Malt
1 lb. Roasted Barley
2 lbs. Dark Belgian Candi Sugar
16 oz. Molasses

2 oz Chinook for bittering -- 60 min.

Primary fermentation with some flavorful ale yeast, rack of the sediments and put in secondary fermentation with champaign yeast. In secondary add 6 oz cocao nibs from Whole Foods and 2 oz. oak chips. Backsweeten with lactose at bottling.

Well, since I had to look it up, MattTimBell assumes you know that RIS = Russian Imperial Stout.

The "you" was figurative for anyone else reading the thread.
Apologies for not having anything further to add, I just wanted to clarify for the innocents like myself who might wander in.

Hey all,

I'm starting to think towards trying my hand at an RIS again soon. I did this last year and it worked great; this year, I'm wanting to try something a bit more extreme yet -- in terms of ABV, darkness, etcetera. I wondered if folks would comment on this draft recipe?

(One additional factor: I'm trying to think of doing this with lots of cheaper adjuncts I have around, to keep costs down, yet hope to do so without producing something dreadful. OK, here goes!)

10 lbs. American 6-row
4 lbs. oatmeal
3 lbs. corn meal
1 lb. Belgian Special "B"
1 lb. British Chocolate Malt
1 lb. Roasted Barley
2 lbs. Dark Belgian Candi Sugar
16 oz. Molasses

2 oz Chinook for bittering -- 60 min.

Primary fermentation with some flavorful ale yeast, rack of the sediments and put in secondary fermentation with champaign yeast. In secondary add 6 oz cocao nibs from Whole Foods and 2 oz. oak chips. Backsweeten with lactose at bottling.

Not much going on with this one...10 days from grain to glass. :D

I don't really have anything to add to the recipe. Very ambitious. Let us know how it turns out.

Thanks, all. Seether -- thanks for the clarification.

Good question on the honey. I was thinking mostly in terms of cost and slightly lightening the body, but honey is a good thought.

A question: doing a bit of research on chocolate, I've read on these boards that cocoa powder will actually impart a stronger flavor than nibs, and it's more cost effective. How much would give a moderate flavor in, say, a 5 gal. batch?

Latest posts

Back