Black beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iosete

Reaction score
Making a black beer when you put the black malt in the mashing . At the star o you put it in other moment of the mash?

i did that , but the beer has a acid taste.
I answer my self if i put the black malt later the acid taste is over and the chocolate and coffe flavors are ok.

On some of my stouts/porters, I add my dark/black malts just before I start batch sparging. So, I get all the color and flavor, and none of the bitterness. Tis a good technique to avoid any potential bitterness from mashing the black malts, since they don't really need to be mashed.

I brewed a Black IPA where I mashed without the dark malt, then mixed it in during the (batch) sparge. It turned out perfectly: black as a stout with no roast character at all. Granted, I can't tell if that's because of the malt (Carafa II Special dehusked), or because I mashed without it and added it during the sparge, but you can't argue with results.

Same here. I did it on a black IPA and on a milk stout, in both cases I wanted a smoother flavor to go with the dark color. It certainly worked as I expected.

Back