Do i need to use a secondary with dark ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beno1

Reaction score
Just put down my first dark ale yestaday and was wondering should i use a secondary or can i just leave in primary until its finishrd fermenting then bottle?? When do i pit in secondary ? And for how long and what temp?? My recipe was

1 can of tooheys classic dark malt
1 1.5kg can of amber malt
500gms of light dry malt
Chinook hops steeped for 40 mins
Hallertau hops steeped for 10 mins
Safale yeast s-04

You do not need to secondary. Leave it in the primary for three weeks, make sure that the gravity has stabilized, then bottle it.

Racking it to a secondary increases the risk of infection and oxidation.

The consensuses on this site is skip the secondary unless you are adding fruit, dry hopping, oaking, or long term bulk aging.

Ok no worries so if it finishes fermenting after say 9 days it will still be ok to sit in there for another 2 weeks?

Yes, it will be OK. In fact it will be better, the yeast will "clean up" some of the undesired products of fermentation.

You do not need to secondary. Leave it in the primary for three weeks, make sure that the gravity has stabilized, then bottle it.

Racking it to a secondary increases the risk of infection and oxidation.

The consensuses on this site is skip the secondary unless you are adding fruit, dry hopping, oaking, or long term bulk aging.

+1

This has been answered many times extensively

Cheers for your reply ill leave it in there for 3 weeks..

Back