Which Microbrews Can We Steal Yeast From?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alcibiades

Reaction score
Palmer's book talks about harvesting yeast from bottle conditioned beer, and cites belgian wit, trappist ales, and Sierra Nevada Pale Ale (I didn't know SNPA was bottle conditioned!) as good candidates for this method.

Does anybody have a list of Microbrews that are "yeast-stealable?" It's hard to look for yeast sediment in a dark brown bottle at the store, especially if it's in a box.

Sadly this list is not that up to date...but it is the closest resource many of us use....

Yeasts from Bottle Conditioned Beers

Many of us harvest pacman from some of the rogue bottles. Bell's yeast has been succesfully harvest. I brewed recently with some captured saison dupont yeast.

Those not on the list can often be figured out with some online detective work....most brewery websites will mention whether or not they bottle condition, and whether or not it is the original strain....

For example, brewery Van Steenberge (the brewer's of Piraat) specifically state on their website that they use a different strain for bottling.

So it isn't really hard to dig around to find out what's available beyond the list.

I often google names of beers with the words "bottle harvesting" to see what has been talked about on the internets...For example [ame=http://www.google.com/search?q=bottle+harvesting+saison+du+pont&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&client=firefox-a]bottle harvesting saison du pont - Google Search[/ame] netted me one thread from here where someone was successful....that and some other internetting can often even tell you what strain they use, often it is the same stuff we get from the yeast manufacturers anyway....

You might be forced to buy a few bottles of beer and drink the beer before you can checkout the yeast. Sounds like it might take a lot of research and a new wiki page.

Back