Propagating yeast for the first time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nasmeyer

Reaction score
I am interested in making a yeast starter with yeast from Bells Oberon when it hits the stores next month, I have never propagated yeast yet so any tips would be useful.

I was wondering how it is possible to get a strong fermentation going in the primary when a homemade starter will have far fewer yeast cells than the billions that come with a wyeast packet. Obviously it works, I just have some newbie questions/concerns.

Man I can't wait for the Oberon, summer is coming!

Man I can't wait for the Oberon, summer is coming!

You aren't the only one!!! An Oberon with a slice of orange. That is summer to me. I drank so much Oberon last year, I was kind of getting sick of it by Labor Day. :cross:

I also am interested in the answer to this question.

Remember when you are harvesting yeast from bottles that it is the most stressed and least flocculent yeast from the fermentation. I have tried this twice with an Oberon and a Fantome and both times ended up with terribly phenolic-heavy brews, despite successful propogation of a large culture.

I would venture others have better success, so hopefully they can share their experiences. I would just start small - like in 10 mls of lower gravity wort, aruond 1.030. Then work up to a liter or so at 1.040, and get up to at least 2 liters of culture, depending on the gravity and volume of the beer you are considering.

I just did this with Sweetwater's IPA. You need to build up your starter and give it time (and a lot of stirring on a stirplate or shaking). I initially pitched the bottom inch off 2 bottles of beer into a pint starter. After a week, I poured off the liquid and pitched the slurry into a quart starter. After another week & 2 days before brewing I repitched the slurry into 1.5 quart starter with a bit higher gravity (1.045).

When I finally pitched my entire starter (liquid & slurry) I got great robust fermentation that was krausening within 8 hours of pitching.

How many bottles did you harvest from? Im thinking of getting a 6 pack and harvesting the dredges from all of them.

Related to this thread, is the yeast Bells uses for Oberon commercially avalible? I have heard White labs Saison or Wyeast 3724 are close, has anyone tried them in an Oberon clone?

Related to this thread, is the yeast Bells uses for Oberon commercially avalible? I have heard White labs Saison or Wyeast 3724 are close, has anyone tried them in an Oberon clone?

The Austin Homebrew Supply clone calls for this yeast...

White Labs American Hefeweizen Ale WLP320

I am a beginner so I really have no clue when it comes to yeasts.

Back