pouring bottles into a keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer:30

Chief Bottle Washer
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am moving into the mysterious world of kegging as a keg noobie. I also have a batch of very yummy Belgian strong ale that didn't carb evenly throughout the 15 gal batch; very inconstant (I think I didn't stir well). Do you think if i purged kegs with CO2, that I could open and pour all bottles into the kegs and force carb while avoiding oxidation problems, or is this not possible? :confused:

I had the same thing happen to a batch of Spiced Pumpkin Ale a few years ago. I'm pretty sure I used too much spice, but whatever the reason, I had 2 cases that had no carbonation.

I opened all the bottles and gently poured them into a bottling bucket. It was much easier to not splash them this way. I then transferred via siphon hose to a keg. At this point you could force carb as normal. I went to the extra step of running mine through a plate filter into an additional keg but that had nothing to do with the lack of carbonation. I had way too much spice floating around so I filtered it off. It turned out to be a great beer and didn't last very long through the holiday season so I don't know how long term oxidation might have effected the beer. I figure at least I got to enjoy the brew this way as opposed to having worthless bottles.

I've done this twice now that I've got my kegger....both times I haven't noticed any oxidation or anything....probubly because I drank it before it could happen :D

Thats just what I wanted to hear. My beer has a strange habit of disappearing quickly too, so it sounds like that would be a good way to go. Thanks guys!

Back