Well, I think i racked to soon.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goodpasterjohn

Reaction score
I got worried, didn't relax, and didn't have a HB. Bubbles stop after one day so I shook and re-pitched, waited a day and racked to secondary. Bottled a week later and there it is, buttery taste/smell. In the bottles now for 2 weeks. Will it subside or should I drink and move on? Thanks.

Wait wait wait, you racked to secondary after only 2 days in the primary...AFTER you pitched 2 full packets of yeast?

I pitched #1 at 76 and witnessed good activity. Bubbles stopped so I moved to cooler temp. Temp dropped to 59 so I moved back to 68 area. Nothing( bubbles). Shook and noticed activity for 1 more day. Re- pitched on 3rd day of no bubbles. No grav read taken (I know, I know). Now I have buttery taste.

What was the recipe? So from what i gather you bottled after 10 days correct? For future reference bubbles DO Not mean anything as far as fermentation goes. Just because you don't have bubbles doesn't mean your beer isn't fermenting. When you bottled how much priming sugar did you add? And depending on your recipe and what yeast you pitched maybe you it FG who knows. My concern would be bottle bombs at this juncture. So put your bottles in a trash bag for a few weeks at the least. And post your recipe how much priming sugar you used and what yeast you pitched. When the temp was 76 to start depending on your OG you could have fermented out quick at those high temps .

I think if your beer tastes like butter, you should drink it with popcorn.

Or lobster

Just don't drink too much of it. That buttery flavor gives a wicked hangover.

I think I saw something about it making you sterile too.

Okay, recipe is:

6.3 lbs amber LME
8 oz victory malt
8 oz 40L crystal malt
1 oz simcoe 60min
1 oz centennial 30min
1 oz centennial 5min
1 tsp Irish moss
1 tsp gypsum
4 oz oak chips 15min
Wyeast 1028 x2

Primary about 7 days, secondary about 7 days. FG was 1.012. In bottle now for 13 days. Tasted after 8 days, was a little flat and had slight to moderate buttey taste.

I've read a bunch on hear and most say its too late to change, so is that where I am? Thanks.

Put it in a dark cool place and try to forget about it. Read a good home brewing book like How to Brew or Yeast, and brew again. Maybe take some Tai Chi or yoga meditation classes too, your impatience will ruin a batch more than any thing!!!!

You're right, I was too impatient. So focused on that airlock. Anyway, brewed second batch and i am letting it do its thing and waiting it out. Hopefully first batch will taste a little better over time.

Do you have a hydrometer? Always take a gravity reading to make sure fermentation is completed before you either rack to secondary or bottle (if going straight from the primary).

Relaaaaaaaaaax. The first brew is always the toughest because you want that beer sooner rather then later.

For comparisons I typically leave my beer in the primary for 3 weeks and then bottle straight from the primary. After over a year and a half of brewing I have yet to secondary.

Thanks for all the input. I do have a hydrometer I just forgot to take a reading before racking. Now I write down everything I do before brew day and stick to the plan. I had a pretty successful second brew day and can't wait for my milk chocolate cherry stout. Thanks!

unionrdr said:
Here's a list of of flavors from Draft magazine. The kroc.org one was replaced by the Kroc club page; http://draftmag.com/offflavors/
Your problem is due to diacetyl for that buttery flavor.

I agree, after reading this forum and other material I think I racked too soon thereby not giving the yeast enough time to eat up that discetyl. I was hoping there was something I could do but I don't think there is, outside of drinking it with popcorn or lobster.

A bit od that buttery/butterscotch flavor is acceptable in some English styles. But most often,it's concidered an off flavor. Racking too soon can cause it to stall,which is one way to get it. Basically the ferment has to be stopped or interupted in some way. Or brewing too cold according to the chart. I have yet to get diacetyl from brewing at lower temps. Perhaps if the low temp is down to the point where the yeast starts getting sluggish & is left there.

Yeah, I've read that it is evident in some Sam smith beers. Do you know of any commercial brews that would have that taste. I have a ton of people who want to try my first brew and if I can say "oh, it's a English bitter like..." It would be better. Not to lie but for frame of reference. Even if it was not as intended. Thanks!

I'd say it's typical of their bitters to have some of that butterscotch sort of flavor. Maybe a little is some of their pale ales.

The British home-brew experts (not that I'm one) claim that a small amount of diacetyl is something desirable in certain styles of lager, but not in other types of beer. Apparently it comes from the lager yeasts.

I have tasted it in a few of the cheaper commercial bitters available in Britain, though not any available in the better pubs. I usually don't order a 2nd pint of whatever beer I taste it in.

I've tasted it in their bitter's. Just can't remember which one. Def any lager that doesn't get a good diacetyl rest. Particularly when using pilsen malts that need it & not giving it one.

Notwithstanding any historical beer style, buttery beer just sounds disgusting to me...

Wait wait wait! Did somebody say they had a recipe for lobster flavored beer? Mmmm, lobster.

Whitbread Trophy was one of the buttery tasting bitters if I remember rightly. At one time it was a decent cask conditioned ale, although apparently brewed to different recipes in different parts of the UK - depending on which local brewery had been taken over by the (now former) brewing giant.

By the time I got to taste it though, in 2000-01 at a hospital social club in a crappy little town called S****horpe, it was a nasty keg bitter with little to recommend it. But when you're drinking in a place like that, there's not a lot of choice... it was cheap and marginally better than their lager.

Although Whitbread no longer brew, Trophy is apparently still available in a few places. I can't think who buys the stuff though - unless it is just hospital social clubs...

Hahahahaha, I've just spotted what the forum censor machine has done to the name of that crappy little town... Its the C-word thats missing by the way!!

Hilarious, reminds me of an old joke.
If Tetley put the T in Britain? Who put the c*** in S****horpe.???
Tetley being a brand of tea.
You're right about whitbread though, it was absolute crap, and was probably the #1 selling beer back in the 70s. I grew up in the UK and came over here in 1980 at 21 years old. Since I've left, CAMRA has totally changed the landscape for the better. It was very hard to get a good pint of real ale back then, but now it's harder to get a bad pint. Beer bread and cheese are all I miss from the old country, but it's nice to go back to visit, of course, you'll find me in the pub most of the time, with a pint of Sussex IPA.

Back