One of those "I'm sort of getting this" moments

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnnySardonic

Reaction score
Since SWMBO puts up with my hobby, yet isn't as excited about it as I am, I figured I would express my delight here rather than annoy her with homebrew ramblings.

I am coming up on my one year anniversary of home brewing, and while I have experimented with different types of hops over the course of my 20 brews, they always just smelled like hops to me. Recently, I've been using my pale ale grain bill to experiment with single hops, but haven't really made it past more than a few varietals. Today, however, I dry hopped an IPA with Simcoe, Columbus, and Amarillo. What do you know, they all smelled distinctly different to me!

The Simcoe was straight pine. The Amarillo (which previously would have probably just smelled like Cascade or Centennial to me) was distinctly peachy. And the Columbus had a nice onion-y dankness to it.

I know this may not seem amazing to those of you with years of experience, but to someone like me who always thought hops just smelled like hops (especially in their pre-brewed pellet form) this was a break through. This tiny victory gives me hope that my palate will actually develop into something. What that something is may not be amazing, but it's better than when I started. (Althought the skeptic in me still thinks I may have just imagined those aromas based on descriptions I've read of those hops. I'll try to be optimistic though)

What a great hobby/obsession this has turned out to be, thanks largely to the community on HBT. Every brew I learn something new. Now I'm rhyming so I think I will end the post.

Cheers!

I totally get what your saying. A great thing to do is get yourself a proper set of beer glasses and learn "how" to properly taste beers and you will soon be able to pick apart ingredients in every beer you drink. Of course not with 100% accuracy but guarantee it will greatly raise your understanding of grain bills and overall enjoyment of beer period.

I totally get what your saying. A great thing to do is get yourself a proper set of beer glasses and learn "how" to properly taste beers and you will soon be able to pick apart ingredients in every beer you drink. Of course not with 100% accuracy but guarantee it will greatly raise your understanding of grain bills and overall enjoyment of beer period.

It's interesting that you brought this up. I recently started drinking my beer out of Belgian style tulip glasses. I think that's what they are called. Made a huge difference in aromas. Great suggestion!

It's interesting that you brought this up. I recently started drinking my beer out of Belgian style tulip glasses. I think that's what they are called. Made a huge difference in aromas. Great suggestion!

That is definately a great one to have (probably the best) but there are a few different ones. Libby makes a pretty good 6pc. set that runs about $15. Enjoy!

Back