Beer Smith question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildwest450

Reaction score
Im doing my first all grain batch this week. Im super green (don't even own a brew book). Im doing Ed Wort's haus pale, and am doing a batch sparge. The question is, what do I set the mash profile at? There's like 9 single infusion options to choose from. Thanks!

Apparently not everyone. :eek:. Also why does that infusion light body go for 75 minutes? I thought most only lasted 60 minutes?

Well, in general, longer mash times mean a lighter bodied beer, while hotter shorter long times favor a full bodied beer. I've mashed at 158 for 45 minutes, for example, and at 147 for 75 minutes. It depends on the profile of the beer.

I also agree you should give a look at howtobrew.com and read the opening page of "Your first all-grain brew". It explains (in very simple terms) how the mash works and why the different temperature and times.

wildwest450 said:
Apparently not everyone. :eek:
Apologies if this is patronising, but in case it's helpful - what I meant by "everyone owns a brew book" is that the entire text of "How To Brew" is available online for free, for anyone to read. It's one of the best general brew books out there.

http://www.howtobrew.com

Danek said:
Apologies if this is patronising, but in case it's helpful - what I meant by "everyone owns a brew book" is that the entire text of "How To Brew" is available online for free, for anyone to read. It's one of the best general brew books out there.

http://www.howtobrew.com

Im not that easily offended. I will check out that book online, I fully intended to do a lot of reading on brewing before I started, but this site has been such a wealth of information, I have been using all my time researching here.

Back