hop twine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darkstar79

Reaction score
I have 2 kinds of hops growing up a metal chicken wire type trellace right now and realized I needed something higher than 6 ft for them to grow on. I put some cement in a bucket and have 2 sections of galvanized 5 ft poles connected for a 10 ft pole. I do not have hop twine, but I bought some synthetic twine that can be used for camping to have it extend from the top of the pol to the ground. is there any reason why I need actual hop twine or will this synthetic twine work?

The hops might have trouble gripping the synthetic. I suspect if it worked, the commercial growers would use it and they don't.

Rough "Jute twine" from Home Depot. About $2.00 for a 200 foot ball. Your hops should grow about 20 feet high. I have my main bed growing up jute twine. Another bed grows on welded wire and yet another is growing on a chain link fence. When they get to the top they start growing with each other and form a nice big clump.

Hopboy

Back