Mason's Belgian Blonde

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

masonsjax

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP550
Yeast Starter
of course
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
6 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
65 F for 3-4 weeks
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
None
Tasting Notes
Malty and spicy, pepper and cloves. Very well balanced.
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.25
Estimated OG: 1.056
Estimated FG: 1.010
IBU: 18
Color: 6 SRM
Est ABV: 6.04%

5.50 lb US 2 Row Malt
4.00 lb Wheat Malt
0.50 lb Flaked Wheat
0.50 lb Caramel Vienne Malt

1.00 oz Williamette [4.5%] (60 min)

White Labs WLP550 Belgian Ale Yeast

Mash at 155 for 60 mins.
Boil 60 mins.

I based this recipe heavily on BierMuncher's Belgian Blonde (SWMBO Slayer). With this yeast, it's an entirely different beer, but equally as incredible. I've tweaked the grain bill a little bit from his, just to simplify things, and it has worked out very well. WLP550 is very spicy, and adds a nice peppery, clove-like flavor. Delicious!

Any changes you would make in retrospect? I'm thinking about trying it this weekend.

No, I don't think so. I've made this recipe as posted a couple of times and it vanishes quickly. I may experiment with some other Belgian yeasts in the future, and will probably use WL400 again this summer as per BM's recipe because its so refreshing with the slight tartness and fruitiness. Either way you can't go wrong. Let me know how it turns out for you.

I just realized you used WLP550 for this, I've got a starter of WLP500 going right now that i'm going to use. I'll post back with results

Back