How is this starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DonutBrew

Reaction score
So, I harvested the yeast from the bottom of my primary fermenter, per the sticky on washing yeast. Some of it I saved, but a good portion of it I put into a starter in order to use on Sunday. This is my first yeast reuse and starter--I have always bought a fresh smack-pack in the past.

I pitched the yeast last night into the starter (1 cup DME-->3 cups water, boiled,cooled, added ~3cups washed yeast). Does this look right for ~24 h later? When I pitch into my new beer, should I pour off the liquid on top and use only the stuff at the bottom? If most of the yeast is still in solution, should I chill the starter overnight to make all the yeast fall to the bottom so I can get rid of most of the liquid?

HHeqt.jpg

1NTEq.jpg

Thanks for your help!!

Looks about right, some starters will be fully bred from just a few grams of yeast w/in 24 hours. As for chilling and pouring off the starter brew, it's really only a factor for huge (ie 1+ gallons) starters otherwise just toss it in.

Back