Type of wheat malt for traditional hefeweizen?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you want the absolute best results (to style), use MALTED white wheat for 50% of your grain bill. I've sampled and judged a lot of Hefs and I've only ever given a high score on one with unmalted wheat. I happened to know that brewer and he used a 4 step mash. If you don't have the equipment to facilitate a complex mash schedule, stick with malted wheat.

I brew several wheats a year and have found that the I really like using 50-70% white wheat malt and 20-25% flaked wheat. I wasn't getting a lot of the wheat characteristics from just wheat malt and started adding 1-3lbs of the flaked wheat to most recipes. Huge difference in color, cloudiness, flavor, etc.

Thanks for the input. I'm going to do a double decoction mash so I'm not overly concerned about depth and character. I'm going with the red wheat malt, just because I've never used it. The descriptions and reviews say it's slightly more sweet and malty, which sounds like what I'm going for.

Thanks for the input. I'm going to do a double decoction mash so I'm not overly concerned about depth and character. I'm going with the red wheat malt, just because I've never used it. The descriptions and reviews say it's slightly more sweet and malty, which sounds like what I'm going for.

How did the red wheat malt turn out for you?

Back