Beer in wine bottles with corks?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZuiQuan

Reaction score
How well would it work if I bottled some beer in wine bottles & used corks? For example 5 gal batch primed with 5oz corn sugar. I know champagne corks would work fine, but would standard corks blow out with the level of carbonation in beer? It isn't really very much pressure I think it might hold just fine. Any thoughts?

You'll want to find the burst test pressures of the bottle to find out if you're just putting together glass grenades. http://www.corkqc.com/qcguidelines/qc.htm says some things about cork leakage when over 2 internal psi as well.

If you're using champagne bottles and regular corks, that would be something else. With a lower pressure, you could potentially get away with it, but the cork design of a champagne cork was pretty much designed for pressurized/carbonated drinks with it's extra expansion to prevent leaking and expulsion.

Its not so much the corks you would worry about its the bottles themselves. Wine bottles are not rated for the kind of pressure you get with beer or champagne. You could have bottle bombs on your hands.

It's a great idea if you want a hell of a mess. Champagne corks wouldn't make it any better unless you had champagne bottles and cages to go with it.
Stick with beer bottles.

-cheers

Many belgian beers are bottled in champagne style bottles. Works great. Regular bottles will just shoot the corks out. If you drink lots of champagne then :ban:

Thanks for the info! I have a bunch of wine bottles sitting around, but don't have any mead or wine to bottle at the moment. Was curious if I could make use of them since I have beer ready to bottle :)

Thanks for the info! I have a bunch of wine bottles sitting around, but don't have any mead or wine to bottle at the moment. Was curious if I could make use of them since I have beer ready to bottle :)

I just bought a case (24 bottles) of 12 oz beer bottles from my LHBS for $12.59 plus tax. They are made just for beer, won't blow up unless I really screw up and are a convenient size for filling my beer glass. Why would I want to change losing a batch of beer from exploding wine bottles?

RM MN, I usually do use beer bottles. Just have some empty wine bottles sitting around & some beer I needed to bottle. I was more just curious how well it might work & if I could save myself a trip to the store for bottles if what I already have on hand would have sufficed... didn't sound like it so I picked up some more beer bottles. All my others were already full :)

Latest posts

Back