Craigslist Carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ursinaa

Reaction score
Picked up a 6.6 gallon carboy off of craigslist for cheap. The guy selling it claimed to helping an old man by selling all the crap he collected over the years. He said the carboy was from the '80s and didn't know what the guy used it for. The carboy looked clean and with a couple of scratches on the outside and a little dried mineral deposit on the inside when examining it in the Walgreen's parking lot in the rain. Took it home and noticed the it has a bleach like smell. I soaked it for a few hours in PBW and then Star san for a few hours. Still has a bleach smell and the dried water mineral deposits, it also has a brown tint to it. Any other cleaning ideas or is this carboy to sketchy to salvage for fermenting?

Soak it for a couple of days (rather than hours) in PBW, following the directions for amounts and using the hottest water possible. Then soak it for a day with a fairly strong vinegar dilution. Rinse very well. If its not clean at that point, I probably wouldn't use it.

Pappers_ said:
Soak it for a couple of days (rather than hours) in PBW, following the directions for amounts and using the hottest water possible. Then soak it for a day with a fairly strong vinegar dilution. Rinse very well. If its not clean at that point, I probably wouldn't use it.

What do you consider s strong vinegar dilution?

you could also try soaking it in oxyclean for a couple days. Rinse well and then sanitize.

Back