A question about brew kettles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

apilot7

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I am new to the forum and I am hoping you all can help me out. I am upgrading my brew kettle to be able to do a full boil. I bought one of those outdoor , propane turkey cookers and it came with a 30 qt aluminum pot. I have heard it said that aluminum with produce off flavors in the beer and I am wondering if anyone has experienced that. I live in Fairbanks, Alaska and so far the only SS kettle I have found that is big enough is $178! I checked online and most places are charging $30 to $40 dollars shipping up here! Just trying to save a few bucks here! Thanks for the help!

This is a pretty controversial subject, but I think the consensus is that you won't be able to taste any off flavors and that aluminum is fine. I have a SS keggle but I also have a 16 qt aluminum pot and I'd have no hesitation using it for sparge water or whatever.

I brewed with a friend of mine who uses turkey fryers w/ aluminum pots a few weeks ago and the beer came out fantastic...

Just make sure you don't use your aluminum pot for anything very acidic like tomato sauce or a vinegar-based dish.

That is pretty much what I was figuring. I was planning to dedicate the pot for beer only.

Back