Still bubbling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gonefishing

Someday I'll stop procrastinating
Reaction score
The as yet unnamed brew that I did 5 days ago is still bubbling out of the airlock... I think this is the longest period of time that I've seen that in any of my brews. It had started fast enough so that the first night (some time between pitching the yeast at about 10:30 and getting up at 6 am) it blew the cap out of the airlock so I thought I was going to see a quick ferment.Guess not. I had thought I'd have it in the primary for one week... starting to think I might give it 10 days before I test to see if it's done to move to the secondary. If I do that I need to go get another bucket for a primary though. Not the world's worst problem for sure.

what was your OG had to be a pretty decent gravity possibly around 1.070?

oh wow my brown ale was right about there and it was done bubbling tonight being the 3rd day

Check the gravity. Bubbling in the airlock is not an indication of anything important. It just means that CO2 is exiting the carboy. it could be de-gassing. I've had brews "bubble" for over a week. Also, don't transfer to secondary (if you transfer at all, that is) before 10 days at least. Let the yeasties clean up after themselves. My vote: Check the gravity at day 10; if you're on target--you can transfer it you wish. Of course, the new trend seems to be to skip the secondary and leave it in the primary for 2-3 weeks, then bottle. Either way, bubbling at day 5 is completely fine.

I only use secondaries when I am dry-hopping or adding fruit. Otherwise I like to leave my brew on the yeast cake to clean up the beer. As far as the bubbling... bubbling at 5 days is completely fine.

My Apfelwein has been bubbling madly since Oct 24. I still see the bubbles scraping up the sides non stop. That's 14 days and no sign of let up.

Back