Batch Sparge Mash-In Water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abonzer

Reaction score
John Palmer's book "How to Brew" says to add the water to the grain during the mash-in and not the other way around, but several videos on you tube show people doing it the other way around by dumping the grain into the water. I have been adding the water to the grain like "How to Brew" says and have not had any issues. I am wondering if this is preference from the brewer or if there are actual benefits from doing it one way versus the other?

I don't know. I always do it opposite of what Palmer's book says, though! A couple of reasons- one is to preheat my MLT which is a cooler. I preheat it, then let the water drop to my strike temperature and then add the grain. Actually, I start with about 1/2 the water, then add 1/2 the grain, more water, then more grain. I never get any doughballs this way, and my temperature stays steady also.

I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter, I'm a grain into water guy 'cuz that's what works for me. I heat my strike water up a few degrees past my target temp, pour it in my cooler MLT and let the temp come down to where I want it before adding the grains. That said, if you're having success, keep on keeping on.

(Looks like Yoop beat me to it)

Thanks for the info! It sounds like it is mostly the preference of the brewer. I am helping a friend of mine brew his own batch for the first time today and I don't want to give him bad advice!

Interesting, I too heat preheat my MLT with water but never thought of just adding the grain and topping off to get full water volume and temp. I usually just drain the "Preheating" water to another cooler and use for clean up later.

I might try this technique today..THANKS!!

I pump the water up through the grain in my mlt. I have found that the lifting action of the water help reduce dough balls VS pouring the grain into the water and makes stirring in easier because your not trying to lift dry grain up through the wet. Hope that made sense. Best thing to do is try it both ways and use what works for you.

I pump the water up through the grain in my mlt. I have found that the lifting action of the water help reduce dough balls VS pouring the grain into the water and makes stirring in easier because your not trying to lift dry grain up through the wet. Hope that made sense. Best thing to do is try it both ways and use what works for you.

Same thing I do, same results.

Truly, do what works for you.

I don't know. I always do it opposite of what Palmer's book says, though! A couple of reasons- one is to preheat my MLT which is a cooler. I preheat it, then let the water drop to my strike temperature and then add the grain. Actually, I start with about 1/2 the water, then add 1/2 the grain, more water, then more grain. I never get any doughballs this way, and my temperature stays steady also.

I do what YooperBrew does and seems to work well. So if it were me I would add the grain to the water once you reach strike temp. If you do thi smethod you will get your mash temp every time with no problem. :mug:

John Palmer's book "How to Brew" says to add the water to the grain during the mash-in and not the other way around, but several videos on you tube show people doing it the other way around by dumping the grain into the water. I have been adding the water to the grain like "How to Brew" says and have not had any issues. I am wondering if this is preference from the brewer or if there are actual benefits from doing it one way versus the other?

Having done it both ways, I've found grain to water produces fewer doughballs so that's what I do. Either way is fine, so do what works for you.

Back