Ó Flannagáin Standard Sour

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ó Flannagáin

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP004
Yeast Starter
yes
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
black
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
1 week primary @ 68F (ambient 64F)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
1 - 2 weeks secondary @ 64F
6.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 64.86 %
1.00 lb Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) Grain 10.81 %
1.00 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 10.81 %
0.75 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 8.11 %
0.50 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 5.41 %
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (60 min) Hops 17.2 IBU

Same as the Standard, EXCEPT, when collecting your wort - pre boil, put 24ounces (2 bottles worth) or so in a bowl, drop in a little crushed grain (3tbsp or so), cover loosely with aluminum and let sit for a week in about 70-80F. I let mine sit outside in my garage. Pictures will follow very soon, I have them on my camera, just need to get em off.

After about a week, take that soured wort and bring to a boil, let it go for 10ish minutes, then dump into your fermenter and let the beer finish as normal. Pretty effin good :D I'm sippin on the hydrometer sample I just got while kegging and it's niiiice. Tastes just like the standard with a hint of sourness.

Well, this guy is tasty. Just pulled my first off the keg. Has a very very unique taste that is balanced with a slight sour, smooth chocolate and tasty roast. Here's some images of the 24 ounces as it was souring. The bubbling one is after the second day, something got in there and went crazy. The second is after all was said and done and before I pasteurized it.

bubbling.jpg

lactic7.jpg

I think I'm going to try this recipe this weekend. I don't have any flaked barley but I'm gonna go for it anyway.

Would Quaker flaked oats be a possible replacement for the flaked barley? Thanks for any advice you may have.

brucepepper, the quaker oats should work ok. The flavor will not be the same, but I say go for it, and post here how it works. I've been working on an O'flan stout, and am hoping to brew this weekend, if the weather holds out.

Brewed this yesterday. I hit 1.050. I have some wort souring as I type! Can't wait to try it!

I soured 18 oz, which boiled down to 12. I threw that into the fermenter, let sit another week, then into a keg for two weeks. Tonight, wow! thanks O' Flannagain, I really like this stout!!

Back