Black specks only in swing top bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kronicking

Reaction score
Hi.

I brewed a coopers real ale kit and it has been in the bottle for a little over 2 weeks. I have tried a couple of the swing top bottles and they tasted fine and smelt good but today I was about to throw a couple in the fridge and I noticed that in every swing top bottle I have right when I pick it up and disturb it a bit I see black specks floating down to the bottom. I have a couple of PET bottles but they don't seem to have any of these black specks whatsoever in them. Is there an infection in the swing top bottles or is that normal for swing tops. This is my first time using the swing top's and they are grolsch bottles and a couple of brown swing tops which also have the black specks in them.

*Thought I should add that when I was racking from my carboy to bottling bucket I forgot to use the little orange cap.

Thank you.

Probably just disturbing the yeast sediment on the bottom. This is normal and not a problem. You should have this in all of your bottles, so not sure why you don't see it in your pet bottles.

Thanks for the response. I actually just looked at another one of the bottles with a light and the specks actually do not appear to be black maybe beige or white. But I noticed that all the beers in the swing top bottles have a ring around the beer line of light white spots which seem to be like the specks floating down from the top of the beer. The ring of white spots is not on the PET bottle either. Is there an infection in the flip top bottles or is it just sediment that for some reason isn't settling until I disturb the beer? Also I am pretty sure that the specks are coming from the top and not the bottom. I am picking them up very carefully trying not to shake them.

Try putting them in the fridge and letting the cool. I bet it all drops to the bottom. Sounds like yeast. I think infection is unlikely.

I did put some in the fridge a couple nights ago. The beer cleared out but there was still the thin line of white dots on the bottle neck. The line won't come out from shaking it vigorously with warm water you have to actually wipe it off. Also I am pretty sure it was done fermenting. I don't do consecutive gravity readings but it was in there for over 3 weeks probably around 4 weeks and the gravity from what I remember was between 1.008-1.010. I just don't understand why these white specks that float to the bottom and the thin white line of specks are only on the flip top bottles and not the PET bottles. Is that normal for the flip top bottles?

Maybe they stick to glass, but not plastic. I've had floating stuff in bottles that settles when chilled. And forms a ring at the surface. If it were infected it would taste bad.

Thanks you for all the replies. The beer is definitely tasting really good. The last 2 bottles that I have had in the fridge for a couple days taste great along with really good head retention. I thought I might add that I remember seeing the white specks or something floating to the bottom of my plastic carboy when I was about to rack to my bottling bucket. It was right when I moved the carboy a little.

Back