Ambrosia IIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orpheus

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Nottingham Dry
Yeast Starter
No
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
8.8 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 days @ 68
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
21 days @68
This was based off one of my favorite extract recipes. I dabbled with other AG IPAs and was never quite as satisfied. This recipe is definitely as wonderful as my original. I tweaked it for AG and went all out and it's a winner!

Recipe: Ambrosia IPA
Brewer: Orpheus
Style: Imperial IPA
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 6.41 gal
Estimated OG: 1.089 SG
Estimated Color: 8.8 SRM
Estimated IBU: 69.2 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 85.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
13.50 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 93.10 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 6.90 %
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (Dry Hop 21 days) Hops -
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (Dry Hop 21 days) Hops -
3.00 oz Northern Brewer [8.50 %] (60 min) Hops 69.2 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (1 min) (Aroma) Hops -
4.00 oz Oak Chips (Secondary 14.0 days) Misc
1 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) Yeast-Ale

Notes: I actually took 1 # of the base malt and toasted it in a 350 degree oven for 15 minutes prior to crushing with the rest of the grains.

I was only going to dry hop for 2 weeks and add the oak for 1 week but I neglected my secondary for an extra week and I'm glad I did!

I read the rave reviews this got in the other thread, so I think I definitely want to make this.

Orpheus, what temperature did you mash at? Is it just a single infusion mash?

I'm not at the point where I can tell what the temp should be based on the grain bill/desired malt profile, so please excuse the n00bish question. :)

This keg was my 'Chanukah keg." The thing kept giving beer. It recently kicked, but the last couple glasses were simply heaven!:mug:

My next batch is going to be a stout, but I'll have to get this beer going again ASAP.

How come you dont have a yeast starter for this batch? Since it's gravity reading is above 1.050, the yeast might not survive that long.

I made a batch using this recipe and it turned out great. I had to make a few substitutions because my local brew shop didn't have a few of the ingredients, but I tried to stick as close to the recipe as possible. It turned out to be one of the best beers I've made. The oak chips are a nice touch.

Brewed this one this past weekend. I missed my SG by a considerable about. My calculations to go from all grain to partial mash were not the best when I looked back. I also instead of putting all 3oz of NB hops in at 60 min, put 2 in at 60 min and 1 in at 45. probably will have little effect but that was to bring a little more taste of those NB forward.

Also this was a sad brew... I not only lost a pint glass with some stories behind it, but also my hydrometer. and I wasn't even enjoying a home brew at the time :(

i am planning to try this recipe this weekend but was wondering if i can make any hop substitutions. I have Cascade, Centennial and Columbus. also i have WLP001 yeast leftover from a previous IPA that I would like to reuse. any thoughts?

Give it a go, you aren't going to hurt anything by doing so. I will say that I've had mine on tap for a few months and the wood is just starting to get tolerable. I wish I'd toned down the oak... by about 75%.

Back