Which AG system should i go with?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fat x nub

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Ok it comes down to the BoilerMaker or the Regular Commercial kit.

15 Gallon All Grain Commercial Quality Kettle Kit :: Midwest Supplies Homebrewing and Winemaking Supplies

or

15 Gallon BoilerMaker All Grain Equipment Kit :: Midwest Supplies Homebrewing and Winemaking Supplies

There is a HUGE price difference and I just don't know if it is worth going with the boilermaker. What would you guys do?

BTW: I know the boilermaker set is temproraly unavailable...i won't be brewing again probably til November anyway (my back can't take it anymore). Thats why i am looking for this stuff and then buying a pump to make my own little HERMS system so i don't have to lift anymore

Well, the Boilermaker system comes with sparge equipment and sight glasses, optional on the "Commercial Quality" kit. The shape of the vessels is completely different as well; the Boilermaker kettles are much taller and narrower than the others, which changes the dynamics of the mash and boil.

I don't know if that's enough difference for you to justify the price difference.

Bob

Honestley!

Look how alot of us do it. If you are happy to DIY or find a local welder then it is worth building a couple of keggles. It'll be cheaper and you can have it how you want.

Buying a kit is convenient but 9 time out of ten it is an expensive compromise.

Saying that. I have been lucky. Both my kegglse have run at < $20 a piece.

Yeah, the prices are way out of whack. Check out the link provided by WBC, and Austin Homebrew's kettles. I just purchased a 20 gal Boilermaker this morning (can't friggin wait!). But the rest, imho, is a little much. Get a Boilermaker with false bottom, and a 30-40 qt aluminim hot liquor tank and your set. Or, make your own MLT from a cooler. It's super cheap and really easy. And we're all here to help.

I'm confused...these kits include a HLT/kettle and a mash tun, only two vessels, not three?

At those prices?

I'm with this guy, that much money it better be for a complete set up. I think i got less than the cheaper one in my set up, just counting kettle, MLT & HLT.

I have an AG system already but want to upgrade so i dont have to lift and stuff and is more space convientent. I can't find any keggles in my area unless i buy one from ebay fro $110 :/

I like the BoilMakers false bottom design that's been always on my wish list.
Everything else no matter what brand of manufacture seems too high of price in my way of thinking. They are in it to make money, yours. For one thing those larger diameter boil kettles will boil off faster than the smaller openings of a converted keg with a 12" opening.
I still would look around for kegs and convert them besides they are thicker
gauge stainless and cheaper. Purchasing already converted kegs again too costly. Custom build to you needs and wants why give some manufactured system your money? Take your time and build your own the rewards are great. The money saved you can put towards a pump, stand and other needed items like a grain mill. JMO's.

Kegs are on Craigslist all the time. Search for "keg shell". Find a local auto mechanic shop and ask them if they will do the welding for you.

I'm planning my system upgrade.. I'm thinking keggle HLT on my existing turkey fryer burner. I have a 15' pre-chiller that will go in the keggle, a temp controller to run the March pump and I can recirculate the wort from my Coleman Xtreme 70 mash tun through the coil and back through a (not built yet) sparge manifold. Boil kettle will be the Blichmann bling-bling BoilerMaker 20 :fro:.. the one place I can see spending that kind of money is in the kettle. One pump $120, plate chiller $100, keggle $80 (most of that will be the valve and welding), Banjo burner $100, Blichmann Boilermaker kettle $400, tubing and fittings $100. Total cost around $1000 for a fully capable HERMS system with whirlpool chiller. I don't see the point in sinking a lot of $$ into the mash tun and HLT...?

I have an AG system already but want to upgrade so i dont have to lift and stuff and is more space convientent. I can't find any keggles in my area unless i buy one from ebay fro $110 :/

I was in your situation this spring, spent about $400 gross including pump and now I'm doing 10 gl without lifting. I know it looks a bit odd:

My main needs were:
1.10 gallon batches
2. No lifting.
3. Open up space in my garage. ( 3'x18" footprint)
4. No welding. (Didn't want to spend the winter learning to weld instead of brewing).

I was already doing all grain so I had the coolers. Bought the keg shells on craigslist ($40), the portable shelving from costco.com ($70), the burners ($120) and pump ($120) from my LHBS.

After I sold my old burner and 30qt boil pot in addition to a few extra keggles I made, my net cost was less than $150 for the upgrade.

It's a thought, hope it helps.

Back