Yeast Choice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DirtyJersey

Reaction score
I purchased a brew kit from Midwest Supplies about two weeks ago and I am preparing for my first brew day, which will be this Saturday. My first brew will be a kit; Brewer's Best Irish Red Ale. The Irish Red came with a packet of dry Munton's yeast, which I assume is a relatively popular choice. My question, would a different yeast be better suited for this brew? If so, what would you recommend? I have access to a LHBS with a decent selection of yeasts, but I don't know what I should be looking for. Thanks.

My opinion, brew with what you got.

I just got into brewing not to long ago, and yeast can impact the flavors in soo many ways. Another yeast may make it taste better (at least to what you like), but for a first brew, I'd keep it simple, and wait to start picking yeast based on the flavor profiles, flocculation, attenuation, (etc.) you want till you get a few batches down.

It what I did, and I think its a good way not to overwhelm yourself with info on the first brew.

:mug:

Kind of off-topic...but I'm new as well.
Should I be using 1 or 2 packets of dry yeast?

I found that Mr. Malty yeast calculator thing today and for all the beers I've made so far (drinking one, bottled another today, and brewed 2 more today as well)...it says I should have used ~10g or 2 packets of dry yeast. I've only been using one.

Most quality dry yeast come in 11 gram packages. One package is sufficient for most beers. A very high OG (like 1.085 or higher) will require two. Munton's is 5 gram, I believe. So, you'd definitely want two if using that yeast.

I would toss out the Munton's, as I've never had good luck with it. I'd buy a quality dry yeast like Safale S04 or Nottingham. Either one of those would be fine to use.

If you've got an extra bucket and airlock you could split the batch to experiment with different yeasts. I do that often. My last one was a dry stout with Nottingham in one and Kolsch yeast in the other. Im still waiting to see how it turns out with the Kolsch. You could split Nottingham/ ESB or Muntons/Nottingham.

Most quality dry yeast come in 11 gram packages. One package is sufficient for most beers. A very high OG (like 1.085 or higher) will require two. Munton's is 5 gram, I believe. So, you'd definitely want two if using that yeast.

I would toss out the Munton's, as I've never had good luck with it. I'd buy a quality dry yeast like Safale S04 or Nottingham. Either one of those would be fine to use.

Thanks!
Yeah the recipe actually called for Munton's and I hadn't previously read that people don't generally like it...but I know now.

Anything going to get messed up if i go pick up another packet and dump it in about 16 hours after the first went in?

I should mention that the airlock is already bubbling away rapidly after about 13 hours.

Latest posts

Back