tower cooler Help!!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewskiman

Reaction score
I am putting together a tower cooler for my keezer and have a question? will a 12 volt dc power adapter work ? i have a 12 volt cpu fan. on tower cooler.com they say to use a 9 volt 100ma one. i don't want to spend money on a 9 volt when i already have a 12 volt dc.

don't see why not, will run faster, you might have to add additional or larger holes for flow but i don't see why it wouldn't work.

I wouldn't. The electronics are rated for 9 and your adding more, which is typically a no no with anything.

12v fan + 12v supply = works just fine

Just Make sure your 12v supply can source enough current for your fan. That should be around 130mA, so anything more than that will work.

fur shure thanks mendesm. Radio shack is selling a 9 volt 300ma for 16.99 and i would never pay that much for it , what a rip off!!!! haha. I install surveillance cameras for my job and i always have the 12 volt dc power adapters so i can get a few for free. thanks for the good advice . i think it might be 100ma but i have to make shure tomorrow

I am putting together a tower cooler for my keezer and have a question? will a 12 volt dc power adapter work ? i have a 12 volt cpu fan. on tower cooler.com they say to use a 9 volt 100ma one. i don't want to spend money on a 9 volt when i already have a 12 volt dc.

I'm Tom and I own towercooler.com. A 12 VDC power supply will work fine and we use 12 VDC power supplies with the tower coolers we build & sell today. Our first tower coolers blew too much air with a 12 VDC power supply but we have found a fan that does not move as much air and this allows us to ship today's tower coolers with the same power supplies we use with our stir plates.

Also, a 100 ma power supply will be more than enough - even 50 ma rated power supply will be enough. Small PC cooling fans draw very little current, typically less than 30 ma.

You can generally get adjustable wall wart supplies at Wally World for about $10. They can be set to 12v, 9v, or 7.5v, any of which should run that fan. The lower voltage will run it slower, which will push less air, but will be quieter.

Old cell phone chargers are a good supply also. Probably have a few of those laying around. Used a 8.6v one for something similiar. Cheers

thanks all you guys for the great info and tom i got all the parts that you listed on your website to build your own tower cooler hahah. i have a fan with a 3 speed option so i will put it at the lowest setting so its not so loud

Great, I have complete how to instructions on the kegkits.com web site so that people can read and build their own. Not everyone wants to buy a complete & ready to install beer tower cooler.

One of my cell phone chargers were 12 volt. I used that for a cpu fan, also 12v. Worked fine. The fan didn't move a whole lot of air though.

You don't need to move a lot of air, you only need to move enough air to keep the beer shank inside the tower cold.

You could always do something like this...

tower+chiller.jpg

Back