Hops into carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewmax25

Reaction score
So recently I have been having a lot of my hop pellets from the boil go into my carboys when I begin primary fermentation. I notice a lot of hops settling out into the bottom of the carboy along with the yeast.

Is this bad?

I have heard that it is bad and I have been told that it is ok. I had a hop bag open on me and lost 4 oz of Amarillo into my primary and it turnd out a really good beer(it was an IPA). I would not worry.

If you figure out how to keep them all out, patent it.
There are people on here who dump the entire contents into the primary and purportedly make great beer.
Unless you don't like what you are making, I wouldn't worry too much about that variable.

Is not a concern at all. As you have already noted, the hops, yeast, and other particles will settle to the bottom. Perfectly normal.

If you dry hop, those go directly into the fermentation vessel. Sometimes in a muslin bag, sometimes just dumped in. It makes no difference except how much is in the cake if you plan on harvesting the yeast.

Back