Skeeter Pee yeast starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

universe

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a best practice to get a yeast starter going. I read to just use some of the must to get a starter going, but should it be a little lower in acid content? Anyone have a step by step? Thanks.

Doesn't the recipe suggest racking onto a yeast cake from a recent wine? I have EdWort's Apfelwein fermenting now and I am going to put my Skeeter Pee on that yeast when it slows down.

I just rehydrated two packs of LC-1118 and pitched it 24 hours after I mixed up the lemon/sugar mixture. Was fermenting like mad within 12 hours :)

I just started my first Skeeter Pee on Sunday. I didn't have any yeast slurry lying around, so I made my own. After I got my 5 1/2 gallons of lemonade ready and aerated (with 2 lbs. of blueberries in a muslin bag in the hopes to get some blueberry flavor), I began to make my yeast starter/slurry. I combined the following:

- 2 cups Simply Lemonade, just the regular kind
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 packets Montrachet Yeast
- 1 tsp. Yeast nutrient
- 1/2 tsp. Yeast Energizer

In a few hours, it was bubbling away. I just pitched it into my bucket of blueberry lemonade last night after work. A few hours later, there was no bubbling yet in the airlock, but I could see the pressure building up. By this morning, it was bubbling away very vigorously, around 3 bubbles a second. I just got home from work and it is still going at the same pace. I'm wondering if the addition of blueberries is doing something to cut the acidity of the lemon juice? Here is the recipe I used:

My sugar solution (same as what is listed on skeeterpee.com):
- 16 cups sugar
- 8 cups water
- 1/3 cup lemon juice

My lemonade recipe:
- 2 32 oz. bottles lemon juice
- 2 bottles of Simply Lemonade (the 1.75L/59 oz. bottles)
- 3/4 tsp. tannin
- 3 tsp. yeast nutrient
- 1 tsp. yeast energizer
- filtered water to make 5 1/2 gallons
- 2 lbs. frozen blueberries from the local Whole Foods store, thawed, squished, and placed in a sanitized muslin bag.

My plan is to keep the berries in the primary only so I can clear in the secondary. The one thing I might have needed to add is some pectic enzyme. I read in another post when someone had asked about adding strawberries to their Skeeter Pee and someone replied back suggesting adding 1/4 tsp. pectic enzyme per gallon while it's in the primary to help reduce any haziness/cloudiness caused by the addition of the berries. Is it too late to add this to my already fermenting Skeeter Pee? Should I even bother if I'm going to add Sparkalloid when I transfer it to my secondary?

Back