Summer Ale to IPA Extract Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoleyBrew

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'd like some assistance tweaking an extract recipe. A buddy of mine bought a Brewer's Best Summer Ale extract kit. He never got around to making it and I offered to take it off his hands. Summer Ale's aren't my beer of choice at the moment. If possible, I'd like to turn it into an pseudo IPA. I'd also like to add 1-2% ABV.

I'm fairly new to home brewing and I'd like some opinions on what to add. What would you do in this situation?
Summer Ale: Pleasant citrus notes comes from the bitter orange and lemon peel. Fermented with premium Safale US-05 dry yeast, this beer finishes clean with lingering flavors of citrus and spice. Crisp and Refeshing.

Fermentables:
3.3 lb. Pilsen LME
1 lb. Wheat DME
1 lb. Pilsen DME

Specialty Grains:
8 oz. Carapils

Spice Pack

Hops (the ingredient list does not mention the specific hops used):
.5 oz. Bittering
.25 oz Flavoring
.25 oz Aroma

Yeast: US-05 dry yeast

Thanks!
GoleyBrew

It is your beer, do what you want. If it were me (as a quick assessment) , I would:

- Dump the spice pack in the trash (or save it for a future Saison ... that probably will not happen).

- Add 8 ozs Crystal (C60 or C80)

- Add 1.5 lbs of DME or 2 lbs LME (lightest you can get)

- Add 0.5 lbs table sugar (to help dry it out a bit, maybe 0.75 lbs).

- Grab 3 ozs the hop of your choice, Cascade, Centennial, Chinook, Citra, etc. And add 0.5 at 60, 0.5 at 10, 0.5 at 5, 0.5 at flame out, and 1.0 at dry.

^^^

It should be pretty simple, up the malt and up the hops of our choice. You are golden...

Back