BIAB stove top equipment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wheatbrewer

Reaction score
Im fairly new to brewing but ive done a couple of extract brews and wanted to get into AG brewing. However i only have an apartment and i move a lot so i cant get a big system.

So i was wondering what AG brews others have been able to do on a stovetop and what size pot should i get?

If you are doing BIAB and you want to do five gallon batches, you will probably want about a ten or eleven gallon pot. You add all the water you will use at once, so you have to allow for the recipe size itself, the grain, grain absorbtion, hop absorbtion, evaporation and any other losses. So a five gallon batch calls for around eight gallons of water and when you add the grain to that the level will rise...

I brew on a burner outside so I don't have much experience indoors (the first and only time I tried it I was new to brewing and had a boilover). It sounds like a lot of people don't get enough output from their stoves and supplement them with a heatstick.

Good luck.

Back