Filtration Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

curlyfat

Reaction score
I just got in the parts to filter beer. It's a standard cartridge filter from NB with a 1 micron filter. Here

Can I reuse the cartridge? If so, can I double-task it by using it to filter my tap water?

PS: Please do not start an argument over the virtues of filter-vs-time. I don't intend to filter most of my beer, but I want some really bright, quick beer to have always available. And, I love new gadgets! :ban:

Yes you can reuse the filter. The biggest problem will be sanitizing before every use. I'd run some boiling water through the filter if it will handle the temperature. If not a good cleaning with Star San should do it.

I figured that I would back flush with starsan. I'll need to clean and sanitize my keg anyway, might as well flush the sanitizer back through the filter!

I filter every batch and I dont reuse them. I use this filter inside of this housing. They are actually cheaper in the store or even at MoreBeer. I figure that saving $5 on a 10 gallon batch is not worth the possible issues a dirty filter can cause.

Good point on the cost issue. What's $5? I'm not sure, however, what "problems" can be caused by a "dirty" filter. That's part of what I'm trying to find out.
:mug:

The $5 is the cost of a filter. I get 2 for under $10 at the local Ace hardware.

By dirty I mean one that wasn't completely cleaned and sanitized for reuse. So many nooks in those things to hide stuff. Not worth ruining a batch for the $5 a new one costs.

However I do try to stack my filtering when possible. If I can do 2 beers in a day I will back flush between them and reuse.

The $5 is the cost of a filter. I get 2 for under $10 at the local Ace hardware.

By dirty I mean one that wasn't completely cleaned and sanitized for reuse. So many nooks in those things to hide stuff. Not worth ruining a batch for the $5 a new one costs.

However I do try to stack my filtering when possible. If I can do 2 beers in a day I will back flush between them and reuse.

I understood the $5 thing, I was agreeing with you (as in: afterall, what's $5 going to hurt?). Sorry for being vague. :mug:

Doubling up makes sense. I brew 10g batches, so I'll be pushing two kegs through each time anyway, I might as well try to get four in! I'm annoyed that I have this new toy, and nothing ready to keg/filter right now. :p

Back