Guestimate Final Gravity?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garbs

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I started a cider 2 weeks ago using some cheap apple juice from the store. The juice started off at 1.049 and I didn't add anything else to the fermenter.

I just took a gravity reading a few hours ago and it is down to 1.008. The yeast used was S-04.

Do you guys think this is going to keep going down lower? It looks crystal clear at this point and I'm happy with the taste.

Hey guys,

I started a cider 2 weeks ago using some cheap apple juice from the store. The juice started off at 1.049 and I didn't add anything else to the fermenter.

I just took a gravity reading a few hours ago and it is down to 1.008. The yeast used was S-04.

Do you guys think this is going to keep going down lower? It looks crystal clear at this point and I'm happy with the taste.

That is almost 84% attenuation... that is pretty darn good for S0-4... Id say it is prolly done.

I don't know. In cider, there are only simple sugars and you might get more attenuation than you'd expect from an ale yeast. I'd wait and make sure it doesn't drop more. I've had many ciders go to .990 with no issues.

84% is way past what S0-4 should do...

Doesnt hurt to take a few samples.

84% is way past what S0-4 should do...

Doesnt hurt to take a few samples.

Yes, but I've got 110% apparent attenuation from s-05 before in cider, so it's not for sure that it'll stop when you expect.

The short answer is to take some SG samples, and ensure that's it's done. If it's clear, that's a good sign that it may be done but don't rely on that. Rely on the hydrometer not changing for a couple of weeks.

So you guys that have used Ale yeasts like S-04/05 and Notty - How long did it take for them to ferment out? I've been keeping my fermenter at about 63-65 degrees.

Like I said, it's only been two weeks. I was just hoping it was done because right now it tastes perfect (not too sweet and not too dry).

So you guys that have used Ale yeasts like S-04/05 and Notty - How long did it take for them to ferment out? I've been keeping my fermenter at about 63-65 degrees.

Like I said, it's only been two weeks. I was just hoping it was done because right now it tastes perfect (not too sweet and not too dry).
I started on 12/6 and when I racked on 1/1, it was at 0.999! My temps are same as yours.

I used WLP300!!!

I made one batch of cider using WLP300 on 2008-09-15 OG: 1.071 FG: 0.098. I really do like the taste of this one, yesterday I started another batch because the first one is going really fast.
I have to find better places to hide the bottles.

Thanks for all your feedback guys :)

I'm going to be bottle conditioning this so I don't want any bombs. I gave the fermenter a little swirl last night and it looks like I got the yeast going again. I'll check the gravity again in a week or so.

I've done s-04 in store bought cider before, with nothing added. the juice started at 1.048 and ended up at 1.002 (and clear) after 10 days. It never fermented down any further. Hope this helps.

You can't use beer attenuation figures for cider. As Yooper said, cider is all simple sugars and FG under 0.990 are common.

OP - Sounds like you like your cider a bit sweet. You'll need to kill the yeast NOW to prevent it from drying out.

OP - Sounds like you like your cider a bit sweet. You'll need to kill the yeast NOW to prevent it from drying out.

Wish I could. Unfortunately I don't have kegging equipment and I want to carb this batch.

I may try backsweetening with lactose depending on how this turns out.

Latest posts

Back