Simarillo IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimBrewz

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Yeast Starter
2L
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
10 @ 65f
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
NONE
Tasting Notes
Awesome aroma and flavor from the hops. The malt is nice complement. Yummy!
11.0 lb 2-Row Brewers Malt (Organic)
0.12 lb 2-Row Caramel Malt 120L
0.12 lb 2-Row Caramel Malt 40L
0.12 lb 2-Row Caramel Malt 80L
0.12 lb Carared®
.5 oz Simcoe (12.9%) - added first wort, boiled 90 min
0.5 oz Amarillo (9.3%) - added first wort, boiled 90 min
1.0 tsp Whirlfloc Tablets (Irish moss) - added during boil, boiled 15.0 min
.5 oz Amarillo (9.3%) - added during boil, boiled 15.0 min
1 oz Simcoe (12.9%) - added during boil, boiled 10.0 min
1 oz Simcoe (12.9%) - steeped after boil
1.0 oz Amarillo (9.3%) - steeped after boil

Mash at 152 f 60 minutes

The first wort hopping and huge late additions make dry hopping unnecessary- the aroma is amazing! The "layered" crystal malts make a very interesting and slightly complex malt background that stays light in color. Everyone loves this beer!:cross:

Kegged, forced carbed to 2.4 volumes.

I'm considering brewing this eventually, but I've got a few questions.

First of all, it's just 2 ounces each of the caramel malts, right? Also, I don't think I can get CaraRed at my LHBS; would Munich be a decent substitute? And how about Nottingham instead of 1056?

I absolutely love Yooper's Dogfish head 60-minute IPA clone recipe, and this recipe uses Amarillo and Simcoe for the flavor hops, too, so it looks like a winner.

I'm considering brewing this eventually, but I've got a few questions.

First of all, it's just 2 ounces each of the caramel malts, right? Also, I don't think I can get CaraRed at my LHBS; would Munich be a decent substitute? And how about Nottingham instead of 1056?

I absolutely love Yooper's Dogfish head 60-minute IPA clone recipe, and this recipe uses Amarillo and Simcoe for the flavor hops, too, so it looks like a winner.

Yep, I used 2 oz of each. I would not worry about the CaraRed, darker munich (around 25L) should be OK. I have not used Nottingham for an IPA, but lots of brewers do, so go for it. This beer is really about the hop aroma and taste-the yeast should be somewhat neutral. I think Notty is a little more estery than American Ale yeast, but still pretty clean and dry.

Happy Brewing!

the statement about "huge late additions make dry hopping unnecessary" didn't compute. say what?

Not dry hopping a IPA would be like renting a Viper and not going over 150.

Most IPAs have large late additions and still dry hop but maybe that is just me.

the statement about "huge late additions make dry hopping unnecessary" didn't compute. say what?

Not dry hopping a IPA would be like renting a Viper and not going over 150.

Most IPAs have large late additions and still dry hop but maybe that is just me.

Ha ha, yeah I know...I used to dry hop everything, still do the IIPA's I make, but I read this http://www.mrmalty.com/late_hopping.htm and decided to try it. I have made 4 IPAs without dry hopping-just huge late additions, and everyone who drinks them swears they were dry hopped. I guess its just a matter of wanting the hops in the kettle or in the carboy-either way-at least from my olfactory point of view you get a ton of aroma.

Timbrewz,

Thanks for the recipe. I might just try this for my next brew. Question...You call for 0.12 lbs of 4 grains. Did you really use .12 lbs (1.92 oz) or do you mean 12 oz. of each of these grains?

2 oz. each....my conversion to pounds puts 2 oz at .12 lbs- so a total of 8 oz crystal malts. Love to hear about it if you do brew it!

Timbrewz,

The last hop additions are steeped. Could you clarify this for me. I assume you mean added to the pot at flame out, right? And, how long do you steep them?

Hey Beavdowg,yeah I add the oz's of Amarillo and Simcoe at flame out, whirlpool for a minute and let the hot pot sit covered for about 20 minutes before chilling.

Cheers, Tim

Back