Silly new guy questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hillman1

Reaction score
I'm using fermenting buckets that use an airlock(from a kit)--the bucket that I use is my primary? What is secondary that you guys refer to? Would that be the bottling bucket? Is the primary/secondary terminology for when I get into using carboys?
Next question--
Priming sugar question. I am going to boil it in a cup of water before pouring it into my fermenting bucket before bottling. Do I stir it before I begin to siphon the beer to bottles, or will the action of the beer going into the siphon be enough?
Next question?--
Should I tell my fiance that I've already purchased more equipment even though my first batch still isn't even bottled...

I'm using fermenting buckets that use an airlock(from a kit)--the bucket that I use is my primary? What is secondary that you guys refer to? Would that be the bottling bucket? Is the primary/secondary terminology for when I get into using carboys?
Next question--
Priming sugar question. I am going to boil it in a cup of water before pouring it into my fermenting bucket before bottling. Do I stir it before I begin to siphon the beer to bottles, or will the action of the beer going into the siphon be enough?
Next question?--
Should I tell my fiance that I've already purchased more equipment even though my first batch still isn't even bottled...

The primary bucket is the bucket without the spigot on it. The one with the spigot on it is the bottling bucket. You do not want to use it for your secondary, becuase then you wont have a bucket to bottle out of. I use, and many of use glass carboys as our secondary. A secondary is a bottle (5 gallons) that you use to get the beer of the initial yeast cake, or to add fruit, dry hop, etc. I very rarly use a secondary, if you leave your beer on the yeast cake in the primary for 3-4 weeks, the yeast will clean up after themselves, giving you clearer beer. You really dont need a secondary unless you are going to do the above listed things. Also, boil your priming sugar, pour into the bottom of the bottling bucket, then rack your beer from primary on top of it. It will mix it perfectly. :mug:

The only reason I ever use a secondary is if I'm dry hopping (adding hops to the fermenter) and want to reuse the yeast.

There's really not much other reason to use a secondary.

Welcome to HBT and the search for your perfect brew!

Expanding on what Rick500 said, a lot of people (myself included) use a secondary when dry-hopping, as well as when adding spices/fruits. For example, I just brewed Yuri's Thunderstruck Pumpkin Ale (from HBT recipes) and that brew really calls for a secondary, as it needs additional spices in the clearing (secondary) stage (plus to remove it from the massive pumpkin trub).

As far as bottling, I usually just pour the dissolved sugar into the bucket and siphon the beer on top of it - maybe stir it very gently to help, if I feel its not mixing well.

And finally, as far as your fiance... your alone on that one dude. Be true to the brew! :rockin:

Also, check out the stickies on the beginners forum - most, if not all your questions can be answered on those, especially The this "This vs That" analysis.

Corvax

I think it's this question that proves that you really belong here! Welcome to the obsession, my friend.

I'm using fermenting buckets that use an airlock(from a kit)--the bucket that I use is my primary? What is secondary that you guys refer to?

People used to regularly transfer their beer from their primary fermenter into a clean fermenter as soon as it reached terminal gravity to separate the beer from the trub in the bottom of the first fermenter. They would then let the yeast still in suspension do their thing to clean up the brew and let is mellow in this secondary fermenter. It was believed that this helped protect the beer from off flavors. There are very few brewers who still do this as it really doesn't improve flavor it does create one extra place for potential infection and leaves more beer behind than necessary.

There are still some times where it is valuable to use a secondary fermenter as others above have pointed out. Many people will use them when they are adding additional fermentables to a beer after the primary fermentation is complete. Some will use a secondary when additional flavoring components are added such as dry hopping or adding oak. Finally, when the beer is going to sit in the fermenter for extended periods it is often wise to use a secondary fermenter made of glass or metal. The first reason is that a long aging period on the trub from the primary CAN impart off flavors such as yeast autolysis byproducts and others. Also, plastic buckets are permeable to oxygen over long periods of time so storing beer in them for many months can result in oxidized beer.

For me the action of siphoning the beer on top of the sugar has always resulted in adequately mixed beer and good carbonation. Others have had problems with this method and feel the need to stir their beer. It is really a matter of personal preference.

If this was tongue in cheek then no, never divulge information not requested. If you were serious then starting out a marriage with secrets about money is always a VERY BAD idea.

Welcome to the obsession

:mug:

Since you aren't married yet, I'd say no unless you have more than two children together. That gives her special rights.

Next question--
Next question?--
Should I tell my fiance that I've already purchased more equipment even though my first batch still isn't even bottled...[
/QUOTE]

Expenditure for you vs. expenditure for her is not a good tactic.

Be very delicate and exercise discretion with regard to this subject. Unless she is REALLY into beer, these types of conversations can go rather badly. Better to let her notice these things and justify them after the fact.

Eventually she will become used to new brew gear just showing up, but do not tempt fate when it is avoidable.

She's good spirited about it all, she bought me my kit for the first batch. Any way around it, it's cheaper than my skiing and cycling habits...And I'm brewing up my first Amber Ale right now.

It wont be long until you build a mashing tun, keggle, wort chiller and purchase new fridge for your kegs and taps. The SWMBO will find you staring at your beer while it ferments and wonder what she has done by buying you the starter kit. Welcome to the obbession.

It wont be long until you build a mashing tun, keggle, wort chiller and purchase new fridge for your kegs and taps. The SWMBO will find you staring at your beer while it ferments and wonder what she has done by buying you the starter kit. Welcome to the obbession.

At least she started the avalanche, you can always go back to that.

Back