When to bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bbbeldums1

Reaction score
I just got a Mr. Beer brew kit over a week ago. Last Sunday (28th), I made a batch of American Light beer that came with kit. I'm wondering when I can do the priming with the sugar. I bought a slimline 2.5 gallon container to transfer the beer that has been fermenting in the mr beer keg, to the beer/priming sugar stage. I have a lot of clean beer bottles that I've been cleaning all week, with a capper and new caps. I'm just wondering if 7 days (today) would be ok to start priming the beer, or should I wait 2 weeks, instead of one? The mr beer instructions say to wait a week, but I've read online to wait longer. Any help on the subject would be great! Thanks!!!

I assume that you did not get a hydrometer with the Mr Beer kit. If you don't have one you cannot determine when you reach final gravity the proper way so I would err on the very long side. I would suggest that you bottle no earlier than two weeks after brew day and 3+ weeks would be better.

The biggest risk in bottling too early is for safety. If the beer is still fermenting and you add the priming sugar, then bottle you can get carbonation pressures high enough to explode the bottles.

Longer fermentations are better (to a point). Personally, I never ferment less than 2 weeks. 3 weeks is my normal timeline. I know how hard it is to wait, but time is the friend of your beer. After one week in the fermenter, you almost certainly have beer. After 2-3 weeks in the fermenter, that beer is almost certainly going to be better than the one week old beer. Try to be patient. It is one of the steps on the road from making beer to making REALLY GOOD beer!

My first brew was with a Mr. Beer kit brewing the California Pale Ale. I left it in the fermenter for 15 days before bottling. I bottle conditioned for 2 weeks at around 68 degrees. Then put a bottle in the fridge for 2-3s day before trying it. Came out great for my 1st attempt! Be patient, and you will be rewarded. After my first taste I was so pumped I ordered a 5 gal brewing kit...hehe.

2 weeks minimum unless you can measure your final gravity and ensure that fermentation has completed.

Back