Impulse buy...now what to do with it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billpa

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I took a long lunch today and went to a semi-local HB store. While looking around I came across a quarter keg...the old type with two holes. I was either thinking of making it into a mash tun or actually serving beer out of it with a beer engine similar to an English cask setup. Apparently a guy gave it to the HB store owner and he tried to use it to serve wine. The inside looks pretty good although some discoloration...no rust or anything. Will a soak in oxyclean clean it up good?

BTW, got it for a whopping 3 bucks.

Image045-1.jpg

Cheers,
Bill

It is a cask not a keg.:rockin:

If you are using a beer engine alone then you'll have oxygenation problems they are designed to be used in fast consumption venues.

You can use a cask breather and set your C02 on minimal pressure.

Welcome to the world of tasty flat beer.:mug: :mug:

Either that or turn it into a grill or paint it white and plant it.

orfy said:
It is a cask not a keg.:rockin:

If you are using a beer engine alone then you'll have oxygenation problems they are designed to be used in fast consumption venues.

You can use a cask breather and set your C02 on minimal pressure.

Welcome to the world of tasty flat beer.:mug: :mug:

Either that or turn it into a grill or paint it white and plant it.

Orfy,

Dually noted...I was already thinking of building a cask system and was researching the breather. Im an English Ale fan myself so this is right up my alley. Question though...seems a cask or a pin have the hole down low (because it lays on its side). This keg is dead center. What would be the best way to retro it? Should I leave it upright, have the air push from up top and have the beer leave the side hole? Thats what I am leaning towards. The whole thing will be refrigerated but not much...more like a fermentation chamber running around 55-60 F.

Cheers,
Bill

Gotta ask, which LHBS had that thing? I have been to all 4 local ones in the last 2 weeks, and have never seen that. I am assuming you went to Lancaster???

Ryan_PA said:
Gotta ask, which LHBS had that thing? I have been to all 4 local ones in the last 2 weeks, and have never seen that. I am assuming you went to Lancaster???

I think its called Spirit of 76. Its an antique shop/ winemaking and beer shop. I think it is located near adamstown. His prices are not the greatest but he is a good guy and always wants to help out. He didnt want the keg and thought I would have no use for it so I got it cheap.

I picked up this bad boy off of craigslist for $10 a long time ago. It's a 15.5 gallon cask keg from the 70's. As soon as I rack a few more times, I'm going to cask some blackberry wine in it and stove it under the house for conditioning! :rockin:

$3? That puts "Graig'sList Score" to shame! Keep that sucka! Use it to ferment...or....when you get really sophisitcated.....use it as a cask!:)

Back