Specific question about secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I've read all the debate about whether to rack beer to a secondary and understand the pros and cons.

I'm wondering if the balance changes considering that I failed to filter the beer when I put it in primary. The steeping grains and whole hops were in bags, so those are not a problem. Unfortunately, I did not think to run the wort through a strainer to get the hot break out (stupid newbie mistake). I know that the break material will settle during fermentation, but I am concerned that some of the sediment will get stirred up when I go to transfer to the bottling bucket. I was thinking that I would be able to eliminate more of the sediment if I put it into a secondary (and then let the the sediment that got stirred up settle while it conditions in the secondary).

I'm obviously a newbie and am probably overthinking this, so I would love everyone's thoughts.

Well, I like to rack to secondary, partially for the concern you have. But, really it is just an aesthetic concern. If you have the ability to cold crash, which I do not (hence the secondary usage), that will essentially do the same as if you racked to secondary. You'll be okay either way, just remember that if you decide to secondary to use a siphon, and splash as little as possible.

As long as you give the yeast enough time to clean up and drop out you'll be fine. If you have the capability cold crash it a couple days before bottling. We just quit doing secondaries and it has made no noticeable difference in our beer.

All you have to do is siphon carefully. If you tilt your vessel you will have a deeper spot in the corner and you can get the most beer. Just keep the tip of your siphon above the trub.

I bag my hops. I don't usually filter the wort going into the fermenter. And I rarely use a secondary.

I haven't filtered/strained either of my first two batches nor used secondary. Both are clear all said and done. Just used care in racking from primary to bottling bucket, then what little I did pick up apparently settled even more through bottle conditioning.

If you're using an autosiphon, there really shouldn't be much trub transfered over when you rack into the bottling bucket. You're overthinking it. :D

Remember that transferring the beer doesn't make it clear- gravity does the work. Gravity works whether the beer is in the fermenter or in the clearing vessel. So it's just a matter of personal preference.

I almost never rack to a clearing vessel. But that is what works for me.

One of the most convincing arguments for leaving the beer in the fermenter for most ales is that you almost never hear of anybody with an infection in the primary after 2-3 weeks. But almost all of the "is this infected?" posts here on the forum are about beers in the clearing vessel, with some headspace.

That's only anecdotal of course, but it is something to consider if you're unsure if you want to rack or not.

Remember that transferring the beer doesn't make it clear- gravity does the work. Gravity works whether the beer is in the fermenter or in the clearing vessel. So it's just a matter of personal preference.

I almost never rack to a clearing vessel. But that is what works for me.

One of the most convincing arguments for leaving the beer in the fermenter for most ales is that you almost never hear of anybody with an infection in the primary after 2-3 weeks. But almost all of the "is this infected?" posts here on the forum are about beers in the clearing vessel, with some headspace.

That's only anecdotal of course, but it is something to consider if you're unsure if you want to rack or not.

+1!

Racking is really an art and takes some practice to do it properly. If you start your siphon about half way down the vessel there will be no disturbance of the trub. As the level of the beer lowers, slowly lower your racking cane and continue to do so until you are just above the trub layer. As mentioned above you can slowly and gently tip the vessel as well to get the most beer out of the primary.

If you need to move your primary to a different location when you rack, do so a day prior so anything that gets disturbed has a chance to settle out again. Also as mentioned, if you have the ability to cold crash the vessel, this will help as well. Even if you transfer to a secondary, there will be trub on the bottom, maybe less but still some so the issue is kind of the same if you are not careful.

Thanks for the advice. For the cold crash suggestion, I don't have a fridge that I can put the fermenter in. I can put it in part of my basement that will get the temp down to 55 degrees, so I could always put it down there for a few days before bottling. Also, nighttime temps where I live should be in the high 30s when I am going to bottle. Would putting the fermenter outside (covered to make sure nothing can get to it) help?

That's really one of those things that is a matter of personal preference and nothing else. Some dump everything in, without straining, just pour it in the bucket or in the funnel....Some use a big strainer that fit in the funnel for a carboy, or a sanitized 5 gallon nylon paint strainer bag in the bucket...

I have done it all ways. It really doesn't matter...anything will settle.

In other words, there is no wrong way to do it, or better way, or way that will make the best beer...they all work...the choice is what will work the best for you. That's how you develop you own unique brewing process. By trying all ways and deciding what works best for you.

What I do with my IC, is chill the wort, then I lean the bottom of my autosiphon about two coils up from the bottom on the metal of the siphon. That rests it above most of the break material and trub, then I rack it to the fermenter until I'm down to that and carefully lower the siphon down into the gunk, just trying to get as much of the wort as possible without letting in the hops and break matter.

A whirlpool helps.

But pretty much up until I got my immersion chiller I just dumped for the majority of my batches. And I still managed to do well in contests...

I find that long primaries render my beer just as clear, and crisp tasting regardless of whether I dumped it all in or not....so I just do what works for me.....

Thanks for the advice. For the cold crash suggestion, I don't have a fridge that I can put the fermenter in. I can put it in part of my basement that will get the temp down to 55 degrees, so I could always put it down there for a few days before bottling. Also, nighttime temps where I live should be in the high 30s when I am going to bottle. Would putting the fermenter outside (covered to make sure nothing can get to it) help?

Just place the vessel outside for a day or two and that will do it, but again, be sure to bring the vessel back into the space where you rack ahead of time in case something gets disturbed. The temperature change will really have no effect, the cold will force the suspended yeast and particles down pretty quick and compact at the bottom.

I would be hesitant to put it outside in glass, but if it's plastic then you certainly can do that. I don't usually cold crash, but if you even drop it 10 degrees that can work quite well for clarity.

Yah, if outside, I'd cover the whole thing with a blanket.. to keep light away from it. If you have a rope handled bucket, use it outside and put the FV or secondary in it with water up to the beer level. Put bottles of frozen water in it to drop the temp and maintain it for a few days to a week... cover it as well.. just to keep the light away. If the temps drop to freezing, the water in the tub will buffer the temps to keep the beer from freezing.

The beer is in a plastic bucket. I also have a really big claw footed bath tub in my basement that is never used. I could put the fermenter in there and fill with ice and water. Considering that the air temp is in the mid 50s that would probably get a good cold shock pretty quickly and the temp should hold decently. Would that be better than putting it outside and risking exposure?

If you're going to cold crash or anything outside you really do need to protect the beer from light and from freezing. Read through my ghetto lagering thread, it might give you a couple ideas for how to do it. This isn't the only way to do it....it just might spark an idea with stuff you have.

The beer is in a plastic bucket. I also have a really big claw footed bath tub in my basement that is never used. I could put the fermenter in there and fill with ice and water. Considering that the air temp is in the mid 50s that would probably get a good cold shock pretty quickly and the temp should hold decently. Would that be better than putting it outside and risking exposure?

It wouldn't matter as long as the beer didn't freeze or get exposed to light. Whichever is most convenient for you.

I have been leaving some of my beers (lagers) in the primary for up to 8 weeks. My last batch I took out at 6 weeks. I did cold crash as part of the process, but I did not notice any difference as everything was already laying down on the bottom pretty solid. After you leave it in the primary that long everything settles out pretty well. Just move your primary somewhere and leave it sitting steady for a few hours before bottling. I cover mine with a blanket to keep it in the dark. Then when you are ready, get the siphon started and slowly move it over to the side, kind of in the corner, and stick it right on the bottom edge and don't move it. As the beer flows into the bottling bucket, you will get a little bit of sediment initially, and then it will be clear to the end.

Back