Predicting / adjusting Water Temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blaine

Reaction score
Here is one that has me stumped ! How can I accuratley predict what my brew water / Wort temp will be.

For example
My boil temp is say: 95 degrees C
My water temp is: 20 degrees C
What will my final temperature be hen the Two are combined?
Is there an online calculater for his sort of thing or a formula I can use?
Unfortunatly this seems to be the only hit and miss element to my brewing at the moment .
All the Engineers should love this one.:confused:

What kind of brew equipment setup do you have. I guess im not understanding you. If your wondering what temp to boil at, then high. The more vigourous of a boil the better the hot break (all the crap settling down to the bottom of your kettle) is.

I'm extract brewing so I'm not doing a partial Mash, full mash or AG.
Tin of extract
1kg Dextrose
500 g dry Malt extract
2 ltrs boiling water
(plus any additional hops if desired)
21 ltrs of water and
yeast.

O.K. As for the boil I recommend turning the heat up, your not going to hurt anything in your brew, a vigorous boil is needed to drop out any protiens and hops that are free floating in there called "hotbreak". You cant overboil your wort, but when you add the extract be sure to take the kettle off the heat and stir it gently to dissolve the extract as not to burn it on the bottom of the kettle. If you have a small pot watch it because of boil over which im sure you, me, and everyone has done. Oh and drink a beer when brewing, it wont make you worry that much. cheers

usmcruz said:
O.K. As for the boil I recommend turning the heat up, your not going to hurt anything in your brew, a vigorous boil is needed to drop out any protiens and hops that are free floating in there called "hotbreak". You cant overboil your wort, but when you add the extract be sure to take the kettle off the heat and stir it gently to dissolve the extract as not to burn it on the bottom of the kettle. If you have a small pot watch it because of boil over which im sure you, me, and everyone has done. Oh and drink a beer when brewing, it wont make you worry that much. cheers

Good tip!!! More beer Less stress = More fun.
I'll give that a go.
Well I'm off line for a week or so on holidays.

Merry Christmas!!! Hope everyone stays safe over the silly season and gets lots of new brewing toys for christmas. Looking forward to hearing all about them.:D

Cheers

Blaine said:
Good tip!!! More beer Less stress = More fun.
I'll give that a go.
Well I'm off line for a week or so on holidays.

Merry Christmas!!! Hope everyone stays safe over the silly season and gets lots of new brewing toys for christmas. Looking forward to hearing all about them.:D

Cheers

Thank you, and happy holidays to you as well

If it was just the boiling water and the cool water it would be simple, but you need to factor in the other ingredients. If your tin of extract is 2 kg, you would be looking at 5.5 kg of hot (2 kg+1 kg+0.5 kg+2L) and 21 kg of cold. So, (5.5*100 + 21*20)/(5.5+21) about 37C.

Latest posts

Back