In the Partigyle Spirit... Please critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VanHolton

Reaction score
So Zymugy has inspired me again. This seems to happen every two months or so....

I'm going to brew two beers with one grain bill. An imperial stout, and a hopped up porter. My 1st runnings will be the imperial stout, and the sum of my double batch sparge will be the porter. Here's the proposed grain bill:

7.3 lbs Golden Promise
7.3 lbs Munich
7.3 lbs Marris Otter
.5 lb crystal 80
.5 lb rye malt
.5 lb chocolate malt
.5 lb black patent
.5 lb roasted barley

I think that with the limits of my 10 gallon rubbermaid cooler MLT, I'm looking at a first running volume of roughly 4.7 gallons given a 1.25 qt/lb mash thickness and grain absorbtion rate of .12 gal/lb.

Now, I'm going to want more wort than that in the boil, so I'm planning on borrowing from the porter wort to the tune of about 2 gallons. This wort will be made up of the double batch sparge from the original grain bill, and I'm thinking of using 2.75 gallons per batch sparge. That will leave me with 6.7 gallons pre boil for the imperial stout, and 3.5 gallons preboil for the porter.

I will naturally want to get two full batches out of all this work, so I'm planning on pulling a play out of the old extract book and topping off. In a third pot I will boil some top off water with an ounce of columbus to make a decent quantity (1.5ish gal) of hop tea top off water. I will FWH the porter, and go heavy on the flavor and aroma additions. Not to mention I will have some extra light DME on hand for this porter because I'm only planning on hitting about 1035. I'm kind of going for a 'shoot from the hip' CDA kind of thing here, but if it's a little too roasty, that's fine. I already have a kick ass CDA recipe. I look at this beer as kind of a freeby from my imperial stout grain bill. How much DME should I plan on using to bump me up to the 1055 range when all is said and done with the top off water?

For the imperial stout, I plan on boiling for 90 minutes with 2 oz of Columbus at 60. I'm going to most likely add 1/2 lb dark candi sugar during the boil, or maybe some molasses. I hope to reach an OG of around 1090-1100 on this one. I'll step up to a gallon starter of Wyeast Thames Valley yeast, and hope to have something nice by the super bowl. Go Vikes!

I did something similar recently, but I really didn't want to top off with water or use any DME (unless absolutely necessary).

So, what I did is reserve ~3 #s of base malt and did a separate saccrification rest in a small pot. Then after I had collected the first runnings I threw the extra grain and water into the mash tun before starting batch sparging. It gave me the extra bump in gravity that I needed for a Smoked Porter.

Good luck!

I did something similar recently, but I really didn't want to top off with water or use any DME (unless absolutely necessary).

So, what I did is reserve ~3 #s of base malt and did a separate saccrification rest in a small pot. Then after I had collected the first runnings I threw the extra grain and water into the mash tun before starting batch sparging. It gave me the extra bump in gravity that I needed for a Smoked Porter.

Good luck!

This is a good idea. I wish I'd have thought of this. I realize now that I'll probably have to cap the mash with some more RB or BP in order to get the color I originally planned for in the porter. But at this point it's all water under the bridge, as I have already made my ingredients run. I'll probably end up with more of an India Brown Ale for the second beer. That's cool with me though. I'm just experimenting here.

You could still do it by just setting aside 3#s of your base malt.

Depending on what you set your efficiency for on each batch you could tweak the volumes and boil time to compensate.

I did a 4 gl. batch of RIS (O.G. 1.096, 58% efficiency) and a 3 gl. batch of Smoked Porter (O.G. 1.054, ~20% efficiency not figuring the extra grain).

The RIS is really freakin' good and I attribute that partly to the concentration of flavors in the first runnings.

Partigyling with a lot of roasted grains can cause tannin problems though so I usually invest more into the first beer.

Back