Whirlpool, worth it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tlazaroff

Reaction score
Hi all.
My question is in regards to utilizing a whirlpool. I never have. I just accepted any hop particles into the fermenter, as well as hot break material, etc and RDWHAHB'ed it up. I have never had a problem with the final product, my beer has always good. I have found that any break/hop material just falls out of suspension after fermentation. Is there any reason that I should consider utilizing a whirlpool at all?

I just started, it is nice! The benefit i see for not having it in the bottom of the fermenter is I have less fermenter loss, thus more beer!

I don't see much benefit in terms of clarity on my system, but I really like the character whirlpool hop additions lend to a beer. I usually start recirculating the wort through my pump and plate chiller with about 10 minutes left in the boil and let it go for another 10 minutes post-boil before turning on the cold water to chill the wort.

Well, traditional flame-out additions imply relatively rapid cooling shortly after the addition, whereas whirlpooling implies hot steeping for an extended time, but I suppose there is some overlap. Hot steeping seems to create a more intense flavor/aroma and a smooth bitterness.

After chilling, I've started stirring up a whirlpool and leting the wort sit for 20 minute to get all of the break material to settle out away from the dip tube and have noticed significantly better clarity and easier transfer.

I think the other thing people talk about as an advantage is that if you are doing the whirlpool using a recirculation pump during immersion chilling, then you get better heat transfer and it chills faster.

Back