Oops! Fermenters frozen solid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patirck

Reaction score
I brewed a batch of vienna is brown ale with wyeast 1338 last wednesday and sunday I made a batch of hefewizen. I ferment in a chest freezer with a ranco controller. I discovered that my ranco wireing had come loose and it took me a day or two to get it done. In the mean time I was plugging in the freezer for 20 minutes a few times a day (this worked better than I thought). I finnally got the ranco fixed and plugged it in Sunday night and all was well. Monday morning I went to check on it and I didn't realize that the ranco was set for 30*! I was cold crashing last time I used it. Both fermenters (glass carboy for vienna ale and ale pail for weizenbock) were frozen - the vienna was solid ice and the weizenbock still slushed around a bit but the blow off tube jar of sanitiezed water was frozen solid with the tube in it.

Are these two batches of beer going to make it? The vienna has finished the big part of it's fermentation and there was very little activity when it was frozen but the weizenbock got maybe a few hours at temps in the 60s before it started freezing.

Check the gravity for the Vienna. It sounds like that might be done, but most likely you'll have to re-pitch the Weizenbock.

Back