6 Stone Clone recipes in Dec. 08's BYO Mag

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdWort

Reaction score
I got the latest issue of BYO and it has a great article on Stone Brewing along with clone recipes for their Pale Ale, IPA, Ruination, Smoked Porter, RIS, and the Bittersweet Chocolate Oatmeal Stout.

Sweet issue!!!! Check out pages 44 and 45

They caught my eye as well. I'v never brewed a clone recipe from BYO, are they usually pretty good clones?

They caught my eye as well. I'v never brewed a clone recipe from BYO, are they usually pretty good clones?

I brewed their Two-Hearted Ale clone from their 150 Clone Recipes edition and I thought it turned out pretty decent. I didn't do a side by side with Two-Hearted, but it's the first homebrew that SWMBO drinks multiples of and Two_Hearted is among her favorite commercial brews.

Oh man, I asked for a subsription for Christmas, but don't think I will get this issue in time. I ordered the 150 clone issue off their website, for a alarming $9 for 1 issue, but I had to have it. I don't think I can convince myself to do the same for this month. None of the magazine/book places have it here either.

EdWort, is their IPA clone spot on with the recipe you did?

I'm willing to bet that all of the Stone clones will be decent. They actually interviewed Stone brewers for the article, so I'm sure they had some decent input.

Oh man, I asked for a subsription for Christmas, but don't think I will get this issue in time. I ordered the 150 clone issue off their website, for a alarming $9 for 1 issue, but I had to have it. I don't think I can convince myself to do the same for this month. None of the magazine/book places have it here either.

I subscribed about 4 weeks ago and then called because I had not received anything. They said I would get the January issue which came out in December. Maybe that is true for you too..

Our local Barnes & Nobles carries BYO and Zymurgy. Did you look there?

That was an awesome article. I'm going either today or tomorrow to pick up the ingredients for a 10 gal batch of the IPA.....slightly modified....I may just use US-05 for convenience (I don't have time to do a giant starter by Sunday)...unless they have a dry yeast comparable to the English ale yeast they reccommended.

I just plugged the Bitter Chocolate OAtmeal Stout into my software, and all the numbers look good with the exception of the color. I am getting an SRM of around 28, and the article states an SRM of 64. There is 3.25 oz. of cocoa added. Would that darken the color that much??

Damn, I thought I had the latest issue, turns out I have the November issue, you know the one with some fool and his garbage can kegorator in it. Know what I'm talking about? :D

Which 6 stone reipes are in there?

Pale Ale, IPA, Ruination, Smoked Porter, RIS, and 12th anniversary (bitter chocolate oatmeal stout). I seriously wanna do the smoked porter, this is the first and only smoked beer I've had that I actually enjoyed.

This issue alone was worth a whole year's subscription. :mug:

Those interested in subscriptions should see if anyone they know gets it and is needing to renew. The past few issues have had "buy a year, give a year to a friend" deals in them.

Those interested in subscriptions should see if anyone they know gets it and is needing to renew. The past few issues have had "buy a year, give a year to a friend" deals in them.

If that's the case and someone is looking to renew from the board I would split it with them :D. I don't know anyone around here who brews so that would be my best shot. Feel free to PM me.

Pale Ale, IPA, Ruination, Smoked Porter, RIS, and 12th anniversary (bitter chocolate oatmeal stout). I seriously wanna do the smoked porter, this is the first and only smoked beer I've had that I actually enjoyed.

This issue alone was worth a whole year's subscription. :mug:

Well, just a guess, but going by your icon, you seem to be a bit of a stone fan :)

But I am too, I picked up the issue this weekend and got almost all the ingredients, I had to do a hop substitution, so I don't know how that will go or if I can find the real one before I brew the IPA.

Anyone out there want to sell .65 oz of Perle?

Damn, I thought I had the latest issue, turns out I have the November issue, you know the one with some fool and his garbage can kegorator in it. Know what I'm talking about? :D

+1 :confused: Can someone share the recipes :)

Anyone looking to subscribe to BYO bestdealmagazines.com has the 2 year subscription for $33.95 and they have a 16% off coupon going right now with the coupon code SANTASALE16.

I went for 2 years and came out to $28.52 after the discount.

P.S. the coupon said it would expire last night at Midnight, but is still working currently, but don't know for how long.

Mmmmm, I love their smoked porter! I'm gonna have to pick up that issue.
I actually met their head brewer this summer at Great Taste of the Midwest. I was telling my friends about the porter and how awesome it was, but I couldn't remember the name of the brewery. Then I saw some guy at the festival wearing the shirt. "Ah! That's it, these are the guys that make that awesome porter." The guy turns around and says "thank you." Then we had a nice chat about their beers.

Here's the smoked porter recipe anyway (65% eff like all BYO recipes):

10.75# 2-row
12oz Crystal 75
1.75# Chocoate
4oz Peated malt

12.5 AAU Perle 90
1/2 oz Mt Hood 15
WLP002 w/ 1.5L starter

OG 1.064, FG 1.018, 53 IBU.

I was surprised it was Peat malt!

Here's the smoked porter recipe anyway (65% eff like all BYO recipes):

10.75# 2-row
12oz Crystal 75
1.75# Chocoate
4oz Peated malt

12.5 AAU Perle 90
1/2 oz Mt Hood 15
WLP002 w/ 1.5L starter

OG 1.064, FG 1.018, 53 IBU.

I was surprised it was Peat malt!

Stone uses "lightly" peated malt. If you are a single malt Isle whiskey fan, then you'll recognize and taste the smokey peated malt. hmmmm good. Strange thing though is Stone uses Simcoe in the Smoked Porter.

Here's the first hop addition, 28# of Simcoe, in a batch of Smoked Porter at Stone I filmed when I was touring it with Germey.

Last edited by a moderator:
(65% eff like all BYO recipes):

Good to know this now. I took the mags to B3 this weekend and they also give the recipes in 5G batches.

I asked the guys at B3 if I should add 10% more to brew a 5.5G batch, but it sounded like way too much grain on the IPA, 14lbs of 2-row, plus other grain for a 6.9% beer.

Anyways, I am glad I stuck with the original grain bill and now I just have to do better than 65% efficiency to get that extra .5G

Oh yeah I have to find some Perles somewhere too. Anyone, anyone. I'll trade some cascade???

Stone uses "lightly" peated malt. If you are a single malt Isle whiskey fan, then you'll recognize and taste the smokey peated malt. hmmmm good. Strange thing though is Stone uses Simcoe in the Smoked Porter.

Interesting to know. Seems there are three degrees of smokiness in peat malt so they must be using light or medium rather than heavy. I'll be sure to check what type Austin Homebrew is carrying since the website doesn't say. I don't want my batch to come out like Lagavulin. :eek:

If you are a single malt Isle whiskey fan, then you'll recognize and taste the smokey peated malt.
Correct me if im wrong but I thought eh difference between a whiskey and a scotch (not inducing location) was that whiskey is fired by wood and scotch by peat. I know Jamison (not single or good) is wood fired.

Correct me if im wrong but I thought eh difference between a whiskey and a scotch (not inducing location) was that whiskey is fired by wood and scotch by peat. I know Jamison (not single or good) is wood fired.

Doh, I meant Scotch Whiskey.

Stupid question but I want to make sure. All of these Stone IPAs are considered an American IPA by category right?

I plan on making the Smoked Porter clone next month.

I also really liked the "Proffessional Homebrewers" article, makes a guy all tingly inside :rockin:

I'm gonna try out the Porter Potty Porter recipe from the Hank is Wiser brewery as well.

Can I be someone's friend? :eek::D

I'd be willing to split it w/ whoever...

So how bout we get all these in beersmith files? haha

Curious that the clone calls for Mt hood and Perle, but STONE actaully uses Simcoe. What's everyone going to use?

Well, I brewed the IPA clone last night and it is not much of a clone. I sucked on my effiency. I know the BYO recipes are based on 65%, so I thought I would be safe if I increased the volume from 5G to 5.5G with the same grain bill thinking I could get above 70% efficiency, but that didn't happen.

My preboil gravity (SG) was 1.044 with a 7.5G volume. I ended up only boiling for 80 minutes with a very slow boil because it was burning off quickly.

My OG was 1.056, but I think I have a little more than 5.5G in the fermentor.

I Mashed at 150 for 60 minutes with 4.25G (17Q), I drained 2.6G, and batch sparged with 3 gallons on the first run and 2.5G on the second run.

I should have used less sparge water. After I got my boil volume and drained the cooler to see how much was left and there was close to another gallon left and I am wondering if I used 4.5G / 2 sparges instead of 5.5G I would have had a higher OG. The water would have been more concentrated it seems.

What do you think? Beer smith calculates my brewhouse at 62% :mad:

Back