This is why I like hop bags....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maltMonkey

Reaction score
While brewing last night somehow I had an extra 3/4 gallon at what should have been the end of my boil. I'm still scratching my head over that, but it was nice to be able to just take the hop bag out, continue the boil for another 30 minutes and still hit my OG and IBUs.

sounds good but.. I am not sure but the A.A or the oils form the hops are still in solution so the longer boil time will still make all your hopes bittering!! I would say that you hops charictoristics(spelling) are not going to be were you want them!

more info would be good

What style?
PM or AG?
Hop additions?

i agree, it's my understanding the a.a. are in solution almost immediately and whats left precipitates out when you chill the wort.

Hmmm.....that's the opposite of what I've read. It would seem to make sense that the longer the hops were left in the more bitterness would be extracted....

...just checked the Wiki:

"There is an inverse correlation between the amount of time the hops spends in the boil and the amount of actual hop flavor/aroma they impart, while the opposite is true for the amount of bitterness that is extracted. In other words, the longer the hops spend in the boiling wort, the more bitterness they impart, but the less actual hop flavor/aroma is extracted."

If anyone has a source that says otherwise I'd be very interested to read it!

Once you remove the hops the bittering level will not change. You will lose all flavor & aroma oils. The wiki isn't quite right, the oils get extracted, then boil off. After 30 minutes of boiling, the oils are gone.

Note: I can't edit the wiki, seems my proxy confuses it.

I'm going to dry hop it anyway, so hopefully that will make up for some of the additional boil time.

david_42 said:
Once you remove the hops the bittering level will not change. You will lose all flavor & aroma oils. The wiki isn't quite right, the oils get extracted, then boil off. After 30 minutes of boiling, the oils are gone.

Note: I can't edit the wiki, seems my proxy confuses it.

Thanks for the clarification!

Back