Cinnamon...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SauceBoss

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Hope everyone has been doing well this fall. I just had a question. I brewed a pumpkin ale ~7 weeks ago and it has been in the secondary for almost 4 weeks ago. This past Sunday I added some cinnamon sticks to the secondary (from other threads I found that it is less potent then adding ground cinnamon) with the hops of bottling this coming weekend without having to worry about the cinnamon being too overbearing (the taste of it was already good but as I like cinnamon, i figured I would add it).

Anyway, I am having to leave town this weekend and wouldnt be able to get to the bottling until monday or tuesday. For those who have experience using cinnamon in their secondary, do you think this will be too much time or do you think the flavor profile wont be at risk.

I am kind of swamped getting ready for the weekend but if I need to, ill make an attempt to bottle before leaving.

Can anyone share their thoughts? Thank you in advance.

The good thing about spices, whole or ground, is that they will fade in time. I usually only do 2 weeks in secondary with spices for that reason. I think you'll be fine. If it's too strong, just let them age for a few months.

Thanks for the reply on this. I just saw several different things about using cinnamon (some saying it was too potent, some saying it wasnt enough) so I figured I would ask. I rather not rush and what not and have to still work late, pack, and get ready for the trip so ideally if I am safe waiting until monday, that would be great!

I will let you know how it comes out.

Back