American IPA Single Hop Galaxy IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zach1288

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WL
Yeast Starter
California Ale Yeast WL001
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
1.5L
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
(64F) 3 Weeks Primary / Dry Hops 1 Week (4 Weeks Total)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
No
Tasting Notes
Simple, light, grainy malt. Fruity, juicy, pungent hops. Complex for a single hop.
10 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 76.9 %
2 lbs Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 2 15.4 %
8.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 3 3.8 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 4 3.8 %

0.25 oz Galaxy [14.00 %] - First Wort 60.0 min Hop 5 12.6 IBUs
1.00 oz Galaxy [14.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 6 45.7 IBUs
0.25 oz Galaxy [14.00 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 7 6.9 IBUs
0.25 oz Galaxy [14.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 8 4.1 IBUs
0.25 oz Galaxy [14.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 9 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Galaxy [14.00 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days

1.0 pkg California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) [35.49 ml] Yeast 10

Mash at 152F for 60 minutes.

6.8% ABV

:mug:

Also Bitter & Esters has a ton of Au. Galaxy. Just picked up 8 oz. Worth a walk down if you're near Brooklyn.

bitterandesters,com

go to amazon during the off-season...remember australia's seasons are backwards to ours...we harvest hops in august sept they harvest in april may time frame. (I think???) anyway you can look up the actual months they harvest...but gotta remember its backwards and availability is short so stock up if you plan on making monthly batches!!!

Hi everyone! This is my first post. I'm a brand new home brewer. I have made one all grain, SMaSH recipe, and Id like to make this one next, I have the ingredients...
I'm not totally sure how to read the recipe without step by step, I'm a bit embarrassed to say. So, you start with the mash, for 60 minutes? Then, when you are draining the wort, you have the first pack of hops already waiting in the kettle? Then bring to a boil and add the 60 minute pack of hops? What does the boil zero minutes hops pack mean? What temp do you need to bring it down to before you add the yeast? Is the 64 degrees the ideal fermenting temp? I'm probably going to have to do 70-72, how will that change it, if at all? It doesn't say to add extra water at the end or anything, like some recipes do. Is that ok or is it something everyone does? And, after it ferments 3 weeks, then you add the last pack of hops for one week?
Sorry for all the questions!!

Hi everyone! This is my first post. I'm a brand new home brewer. I have made one all grain, SMaSH recipe, and Id like to make this one next, I have the ingredients...
I'm not totally sure how to read the recipe without step by step, I'm a bit embarrassed to say. So, you start with the mash, for 60 minutes? Then, when you are draining the wort, you have the first pack of hops already waiting in the kettle? Then bring to a boil and add the 60 minute pack of hops? What does the boil zero minutes hops pack mean? What temp do you need to bring it down to before you add the yeast? Is the 64 degrees the ideal fermenting temp? I'm probably going to have to do 70-72, how will that change it, if at all? It doesn't say to add extra water at the end or anything, like some recipes do. Is that ok or is it something everyone does? And, after it ferments 3 weeks, then you add the last pack of hops for one week?
Sorry for all the questions!!

Can anyone help here?

Doesn't look bad at all.

No need to worry about being new, every brewer starts somewhere! For me it was a Mr. Beer kit :)

Unless I am completely off my mark, the recipe is read like this:

First two hops are essentially the same. I believe he wrote it with the intention of adding hops before boil (the .25 at 60 minutes) but it shouldn't react to much until boil time.
The rest of the times are essentially until your flame out, or when you cut off the heat to your kettle. So that is:
1 oz at start, (60 mins total boiling time)
.25 oz 20 minutes from end (or 40 mins later)
.25 oz 10 minutes from end (or 10 minutes after last hops added)
.25 oz 0.0 minutes from end, at flame out( at 60 mins of total boiling time)

Cool the wort down to your target temp, or around 64 degrees, and add the last 1 oz of hops (dry hop 0.0 days)

So now for the temperature bit: the yeast is going to ferment away, and if you have too high a temp (high 60's into 70's) you can change the flavor in your beer. The lower the temperature the slower the yeast will eat and the slower your beer will ferment. If you have no way of getting it down to around 66 or so, it's going to bubble like crazy. Definitely put a towel underneath your bucket and keep an eye on the airlock, as the krausen will bubble up into the airlock and clog it. Nothing to really worry about as long as the stuff is still fermenting and pushing CO2 out of the kettle, but becomes important when it slows down.

You don't want to add the yeast with the temp above ~75. Different brewers say differently, but some like adding it a little warmer to kick start the yeast, especially if they didn't prime the yeast.

Looks like the recipe is for a 5 gallon batch size. That's a target 5 gallons at the end of all the boiling. Whether you are doing all grain or BIAB, just adjust your water (and PH levels) as necessary.

First two hops are essentially the same. I believe he wrote it with the intention of adding hops before boil (the .25 at 60 minutes) but it shouldn't react to much until boil time.

First Wort Hopping is when you have a hop addition as soon as you pour the wort into the boil kettle, before the burner is even turned on. So you finish sparging, throw in a quarter ounce of hops and then when the boil starts at 60 you add the associated addition and then at 20 minutes from the flame out add the next addition at 10 minutes from flame out.

Hope this helps out, I'm looking at brewing this recipe aswell soon, I have a pound of Galaxy I got for my birthday I am excited to use :D :mug:

Latest posts

Back