Hops amount question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigjuice

Reaction score
Just ordered a mild brown ale kit from Morebeer. I forgot to mention to them that I will be doing a full boil instead of a partial boil. If I remember correctly from my reading, I should have to add more hops to a full boil compared to a partial boil. I forgot to ask for more hops. I am figuring I shouldnt worry about it and throw what hops come with the kit in to a full boil and let it roll on.

I don't have any extra hops laying around.

Any thoughts?

What are the hop amounts and types. I think that you will be fine. I did some of their beers in full boil and did not notice a difference.

Hops utilization are based on the gravity of the boil. A partial boil would have a higher gravity and therefor less utilization of the hops. Utilization is affected by volume of boil, wort gravity and time of boil. You would add less hops for a full boil due to greater utilization from a lower gravity wort. Here is a link to a good explanation and formula for figuring utilization.
Hope this helps.
http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter5-5.html

Right, less hops for a full boil, but hey, it's a mild brown ale, so it's a couple IBU higher. Who would notice? Seriously, doing a full boil might move it from 15 IBU to18, but most people can't taste the difference between 15 & 25. I routinely do fulls when kits call for partials and only adjust the bittering hops when the target is over 50 IBU.

It's when you do a Mild and double the Columbus accidentally, that you end up with an ESB.

A partial boil is when you only boil a pecentage of the final required volume and add water at the end to reach the final volume. Many people only have 2 1/2 - 3 gallons in their boil making a high gravity, concentrated wort. You then reach the 5 gallons by diluting with cold water to the fermenter to bring up to 5 gallons.

Back